Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three b Eir

Options
  • 08-12-2020 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

I currently get my broadband through Three's mobile broadband but the speeds are awful some times especially in the evening. Sometimes only 200Kb. Then other times I could get 20Mb. My phone is on the euro network and I do speed tests on it and even when it is slow it tends not to he under 3-4mb. Has anyone any experience with both and which did they find better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I currently get my broadband through Three's mobile broadband but the speeds are awful some times especially in the evening. Sometimes only 200Kb. Then other times I could get 20Mb. My phone is on the euro network and I do speed tests on it and even when it is slow it tends not to he under 3-4mb. Has anyone any experience with both and which did they find better.

I assume you mean your phone is on the Eir network. Either way it's a loaded question as peoples experiences will differ as their geographical locations differ. It does sound like your local Three mast is heavily congested and hence your poor speeds at peak times. There are only three physical networks; Vodafone, Three and Eir and multiple virtual operators that hang off each.

If you are experiencing congestion with Three on the PAYG it's most likely you would experience the same congestion on any other Three plan or Three virtual operator such as 48 or Tesco. This leaves you to trialling between Vodafone and Eir and plans depend on how much data you use per month. First to try would be GoMo (Eir) which is 12.99 for 120GB/month, then vodafone X which is 20e/month but capped at 10mbs and have seen some negative comments going on in that thread of late with regards to speeds/ping times etc. All these are actually 'phone' plans but work in mobile routers without any trouble.

Next step up are the actual mobile broadband plans offered by Eir/Vodafone. I think Eir have a €29.99 plan for 750GB/month while Vodafone have a ~€40 plan for 300GB/month. These may have been changed since I've last looked at them, but it gives you the lay of the land. Trial on top up during peak times before entering any contract however.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

westyIrl wrote: »
    I assume you mean your phone is on the Eir network. Either way it's a loaded question as peoples experiences will differ as their geographical locations differ. It does sound like your local Three mast is heavily congested and hence your poor speeds at peak times. There are only three physical networks; Vodafone, Three and Eir and multiple virtual operators that hang off each.

If you are experiencing congestion with Three on the PAYG it's most likely you would experience the same congestion on any other Three plan or Three virtual operator such as 48 or Tesco. This leaves you to trialling between Vodafone and Eir and plans depend on how much data you use per month. First to try would be GoMo (Eir) which is 12.99 for 120GB/month, then vodafone X which is 20e/month but capped at 10mbs and have seen some negative comments going on in that thread of late with regards to speeds/ping times etc. All these are actually 'phone' plans but work in mobile routers without any trouble.

Next step up are the actual mobile broadband plans offered by Eir/Vodafone. I think Eir have a €29.99 plan for 750GB/month while Vodafone have a ~€40 plan for 300GB/month. These may have been changed since I've last looked at them, but it gives you the lay of the land. Trial on top up during peak times before entering any contract however.

Jim

Hey thanks for this reply. I'm in the three 750mb plan and it is awful at peak times. I had an eir 4g plan before and it was much better. I am hoping that fibre will be in the area in the next 6-8 months until then I have to find something that will work some why ok. Like at least 4-5 MB at peak times. Not 100-200Kb

Advertisement