Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Access for Mac

Options
  • 07-12-2020 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

I hope you can help me please... My son is in College and is about to commence training on Microsoft Access, All his equipment is Apple based.

I have a business Laptop which I pay an Annual Fee for Microsoft Office, which gives me a facility to load on to up to 5 machines... Is this any use to him???

Thanks in advance for constructive comments.

Regards,

T.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,338 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes that should work fine.

On a side note, it's cheap again at Argos...
    https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8837505/Trail/searchtext%3EMICROSOFT+365.htm

Aplogies, doesn't work out of the box on a Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Twiggy69

He seemed to think that Microsoft Access was not available/compatible with his Apple Macbook pro???

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭walshtipp

Twiggy69 wrote: »
    He seemed to think that Microsoft Access was not available/compatible with his Apple Macbook pro???

Microsoft Access is not available for Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭ULMarc

That's true. He'd have to install Windows on his MacBook in order to use Access.

He can dual boot Windows and MacOS on the same laptop. Assuming it's not one of the MacBooks thy released last month.

Thanks ULMarc.... Where could we find out how to do that very thing???

Is there any danger to his existing work on the Macbook???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Get him to google bootcamp or look at this https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT201468. You can get windows 10 keys for cheap like here https://www.digitallicense.nl/windows-10-home-uk-oem-32-64-bits

This assumes his machine can run it. It basically turns it into a windows computer so then he can use one of your activations.

I dont mean to sound like a sap but he is in college and should really look at problem solving for himself if he is gonna survive in the cruel real world....

good luck!

I dont mean to sound like a sap but he is in college and should really look at problem solving for himself if he is gonna survive in the cruel real world....

good luck!

I hear you buddy, but I am looking to an alternative to me lashing out up to €1000 on another laptop we don't really need...

Twiggy69 wrote: »
    Thanks ULMarc.... Where could we find out how to do that very thing???

Is there any danger to his existing work on the Macbook???

So, the way it's done on a Macbook is through an app called Bootcamp. It's an officially supported method of installing Windows. You'll find that the bootcamp app is already installed in the Macbook's applications. Really, it's an install wizard that takes you through the install process safely.

You'll need a copy of Windows 10 to install. It can be downloaded from here. Select the edition, Windows 10, and the language, English International. Purchasing Windows is unnecessary at this point. A product key can be purchased and applied at a later date if you wish to do so. It's perfectly fine to install and purchase a license after the fact. Might as well make sure it does the job first!

You'll need to ensure that the hard drive has adequate space to accommodate both MacOS and Windows. Whenever I install it I allow myself 60GB for Windows.

You then switch between MacOS and Windows by restarting the MacBook and selecting which OS you want to use.

I won't go any further into it here. There's plenty of info out there about it. But I just wanted to give you the overview so you knew what would be involved. You may have lost all interest :D

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/boot-camp

• Registered Users Posts: 81,338 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Aplogies I was wrong, pretty brutal Argos having Mac included as it if works out of the box.

I forgot to mention. You won't lose your Mac data. (Though, he should really keep backups right?). And you can delete Windows whenever it's no longer of use.

If the alternative is buying another laptop. Then this is a far less ridiculous idea. I have Bootcamp running on 3 Macbooks at the moment and it's been great use for me.

• Advertisement

Aplogies I was wrong, pretty brutal Argos having Mac included as it if works out of the box.

Most Office apps do work on Mac. But I understand Access doesn't. Would welcome being proven wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

ULMarc wrote: »
    Most Office apps do work on Mac. But I understand Access doesn't. Would welcome being proven wrong though.

Don't think it does - Filemaker Pro was the usual alternative in the Mac world.

OP - if you can't borrow a Windows laptop , buy a second hand one. Did the course specify Windows at the outset? You might have more Windows specific stuff to come.

Advertisement