Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do TV ads use classic cars?

Options
  • 07-12-2020 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭

I hope this is not too off topic here, would be more suited to a marketing forum but there seems to be none here apart from the closed one

So, I just seen an ad for McDonalds where a woman goes through the drive thru, in a Merc W123. It just showed the interior, so only us would know it's a classic, I'd say. I seem to remember they used a Capri a year or 2 ago. And the confused.com ads uses a W116 (I think). I've seem others but can't remember them now.

I can understand somewhat with a luxury good, but why for fast food (where 90% would not notice it's a classic) and a broker site.??

EDIT just remembered the Coke ad that got a lot of publicity, a woman being taught to drive also in a W123 just after Saudi women were allowed to drive

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Can't answer your question, but this McDonald's UK advert from last summer (June/July 2019)

was localised for Ireland with a different voice dub and some CGI Irish numberplates!

Unfortunately I never managed to save a copy to my computer at the time and McDonalds Ireland really don't bother much with their YouTube channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Thanks. I think I remember that one now! The ad I saw last night must have been a different edit of that as it did not show the outside much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I can understand somewhat with a luxury good, but why for fast food (where 90% would not notice it's a classic) and a broker site.??

Who do you think creates these ads? Directors and designers that have good taste. It doesn't matter that it's for a McDonalds ad, they still want it to look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i think it's a case of them needing a car in the ad but not wanting to confuse their message by using a current model that may be the subject of advertising elsewhere. It's their product that is the message not the car in other words. my theory only.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

I suppose its to get attention in ads, as modern cars, by there very nature, are too common in our world for people to react to, also driving a classic car is aspirational.

I remember an ad that trivially annoyed me, with James Cordon recklessly driving a Mercedes W108? was it. It was a car insurance ad for Confused.com.

They had and American registered car even though it was a British ad, and being a car from the '60s / '70s, confused.com probably wouldn't even give you an insurance quote on it, if did have one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Classic cars make nice props

No reason not to use them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Testacalda wrote: »
    I suppose its to get attention in ads, as modern cars, by there very nature, are too common in our world for people to react to, also driving a classic car is aspirational.

I remember an ad that trivially annoyed me, with James Cordon recklessly driving a Mercedes W108? was it. It was a car insurance ad for Confused.com.

They had and American registered car even though it was a British ad, and being a car from the '60s / '70s, confused.com probably wouldn't even give you an insurance quote on it, if did have one.

you remember the ad and what it was for....job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

Using a classic car means the advert doesn't age too much, which it would if a current car model was used - the ad can then be shown for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Isambard wrote: »
    you remember the ad and what it was for....job done.

I'm not saying it was poor, from an advertising point of view, it merely annoyed me a little!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Maybe if the advert used a modern car, the car manufacturer would object or seek payment???
    Interestingly, in most cases, the classic they use is a Mercedes.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies. I did not consider the fact using a classic makes the ad ageless and not confused with a car ad.

Testacalda wrote: »

Ah, I think you're right, a W108 not W116 - I just looked at their website now! I don't think I have seen the ad with James Cordon, the one is with a guy that looks like Dennis Hopper I think (hardly is him?) and just shows the rear of the car and out of focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

macplaxton wrote: »
    Can't answer your question, but this McDonald's UK advert from last summer (June/July 2019)

was localised for Ireland with a different voice dub and some CGI Irish numberplates!

Unfortunately I never managed to save a copy to my computer at the time and McDonalds Ireland really don't bother much with their YouTube channel.

They do the same thing with a new ad, where the young lad is listening to Flying Without Wings. I remember watching it and thinking 'that doesn't look like Ireland', then I saw the UK original.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Only one thing more popular than classic cars in ads: Vespa's.

They are literally, everywhere.

See how many you spot now...............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I think the obvious answer is - they are cool. and people who drive them are cool, as are people who like them, and those who hang around internet forums talking about them are cool !:D

Buying a burger coz the ad has a classic car in it gives you an opportunity to have a slice of that coolness (for only a minute though):D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,757 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Modern run of the mill cars are ubiquitous and boring. They dont turn heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I think the obvious answer is - they are cool. and people who drive them are cool, as are people who like them, and those who hang around internet forums talking about them are cool !:D

Buying a burger coz the ad has a classic car in it gives you an opportunity to have a slice of that coolness (for only a minute though):D

You have my vote :)

As someone who's not really a classic car enthusiast, for McDonald's I presume the idea is to suggest that the McDonald's brand is, in itself, timeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

It's an attempt by big corporates to get consumers to hark back to simpler times when everything was good, family was everything, food and products were wholesome and life was simple. The Brady Bunch, Happy Days kind of thing.

And of course the other reasons mentioned.......being cool and all that!:D

Advertisement