Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minor electrical works

Options
  • 07-12-2020 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hope you can help me with something...

I have a question about the allowance for minor electrical works, CER say a non registered EC can do like for like replacements like:

Replace an electrical accessory such as light switch
    Replace or relocate a light fitting where the existing circuit is retained
    Provision of an additional socket to an existing radial circuit

It basically looks like as long as you are competent you can do a fair bit in your home as long as you stay away from the consumer unit. I am not a REC, however i was an apprentice many years ago and left the trade before qualifying, but spent a lot of time doing the basics (Chasing and putting in lights and sockets etc)..

Recently i fitted downlights, extra sockets (Internal and external) in my own home, following all the current IS10101 regs for zoning, conductor size, IP rating, conduit to protect the PVC cables from plasticiser migration in the walls passing through polystyrene etc....

All is working well and installed safely....

My question is this... My mate has seen the job i did here and wants me to do an outside socket for him (Not a paying job incase revenue are reading haha) he is also toying with the idea of switching out the kitchen lights from pendants to downlights and wants me to do it for him. The circuit he is looking to spur the outside socket off is RCD protected and i would put a fused switched on it, all the wiring is only about 5 years old so pretty much up to date... I have no problem doing this for him but just want to make sure its not something that i could be reported for as its not in my own home... don't want to end up looking like the cowboy in the safe electric ad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

The own home vs somebody else’s isn’t really materially important when it comes to restricted electrical works under the act. While it may be less likely, you can be prosecuted for carrying out restricted works in your own home.

The definition of minor works is not exhaustive, but in my view what you describe would fall within that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JohnnyOne

Yea i would stay well away from restricted works for sure.

I just wanted to clarify that its ok to do those couple of things for him as it is outside of my own home..

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Redy321

I think you don't need to worry.

Advertisement