Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Correcting k deficiency

Options
  • 07-12-2020 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Hi all, according to a recent soil sample I need to correct k by 3 bags per acre. Is there any preferred time for this or is it a case of getting out when you can?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭alps

jfh wrote: »
    Hi all, according to a recent soil sample I need to correct k by 3 bags per acre. Is there any preferred time for this or is it a case of getting out when you can?!

As soon as you can, weather permitting.

The recent biological conference strongly advised to avoid the use of Muriet of Potash and instead to use Sulfate of Potash.

The Muriet is supposed to be very harsh on the soil microbiology...

The amount you can spread from here on will decrease as we get closer to spring because of the risk of coming back in on the silage...check the spreading rate again with you advisor as you ho....3 bags is strong..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭jfh

alps wrote: »

The recent biological conference strongly advised to avoid the use of Muriet of Potash and instead to use Sulfate of Potash.

The amount you can spread from here on will decrease as we get closer to spring because of the risk of coming back in on the silage...check the spreading rate again with you advisor as you ho....3 bags is strong..

Appreciate the advice alps, I'll go with less than 3,i didn't intend to put out that much anyway, land might dry up before the new year and I will try to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Hijacking a thread but can I ask a questions.

I need to beef up the p and k and manganese on my veggie garden.

Can someone recommend a fertiliser mix I can buy. Will only want a bag or 2.

I don't want weeds taking control so needs to be lowish in Nitrogen.im adding manure to the beds as and when I can.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Hijacking a thread but can I ask a questions.

I need to beef up the p and k and manganese on my veggie garden.

Can someone recommend a fertiliser mix I can buy. Will only want a bag or 2.

I don't want weeds taking control so needs to be lowish in Nitrogen.im adding manure to the beds as and when I can.

Thanks

farmyard manure around now to rot in over the winter and ash from fire is good too
    How big an area and what’s your index

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭jfh

farmyard manure around now to rot in over the winter and ash from fire is good too
    How big an area and what’s your index

Just out of interest, what would the Ash contain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Appreciate the advice alps, I'll go with less than 3,i didn't intend to put out that much anyway, land might dry up before the new year and I will try to get out.

Might be better to target a portion of the increase through the year depending what you're already spreading?
    A bit slower and more expensive but worth it imo

P was 2.29
    K 47.3
    MG 40.4
    Test was done in 2018 but only looking at it now for a half acre garden.

I've another 3.5 acres which is being rented out and he's putting slurry and fert on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

P was 2.29
    K 47.3
    MG 40.4

I've another 3.5 acres which is being rented out and he's putting slurry and fert on it.

If the soil looks healthy I would feed the crop rather than pumping fertiliser that may be unnecessary and harmful. Those levels are only water soluble readings, ie what's washing around, free and leachable, there's usually tonnes of biologically accessible reserves.
    As posted, some good compost, the wood ashes would add trace elements but are caustic and can be high on heavy metals so don't over do them. It would be better premix them with the compost for a few months to make those elements biologically available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

P was 2.29
    K 47.3
    MG 40.4

Mg is magnesium not manganese, so either dolomitic limestone of Epsom salt is what you want depending on how ph is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

alps wrote: »

Choose you advisor carefully, preferably from the organic horticulture sector, the vast majority of ag ones wouldn't know their arse from their elbow with regards to soils, they're basically just innocent uncommissioned sales reps for industrial chemical companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Just out of interest, what would the Ash contain?

Potash. K.
    pH 13.

Mg is magnesium not manganese, so either dolomitic limestone of Epsom salt is what you want depending on how ph is.

Long time since I did chemistry. Its manganese
    PH was 5.2

I put some gran lime out last year. So it could have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Magnesium - Mg.

Manganese - Mn.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

P was 2.29
    K 47.3
    MG 40.4

Best thing to put on a veggie garden is 3 or 4 inches of well rotted farmyard manure this time of the year and plough it in in march, you're way overthinking it

http://www.ridgedalepermaculture.com/about-us.html

Have a look at this guy. Presented at the Biological Conference last month. When it comes to gardening, Incant imagine anyone more impressive......and motivating

And videos

https://youtu.be/J_htLIUKX1Y

https://youtu.be/u79tiVcj8bY

Weed free market garden..

wrangler wrote: »
    Best thing to put on a veggie garden is 3 or 4 inches of well rotted farmyard manure this time of the year and plough it in in march, you're way overthinking it

I'm going no dig and I agree about the manure but the readings were quiet low. A general fert mix will do no harm

Advertisement