Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trickle vent V wall vent

Options
  • 07-12-2020 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

We have had a new window installed in our ensuite bathroom. This has a trickle vent in it where the old one did not. I have always assumed that wall vents should never be closed up, but I am wondering if the trickle vent now negates the need for the wall vent, or if they are both required? It can get really cold in there when the wind is blowing right in.

Also, I am wondering if there is a safe and cheap way to block drafts coming in through a wall socket? I've done a bit of googling but haven't really come up with anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,290 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

describe the wall make up where the socket is located

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

describe the wall make up where the socket is located

The socket is located in the kitchen on an external facing wall underneath the boiler. It is not actually a socket - I'm not sure of the the proper technical term for it but I think it is a fused spur. There is no actual switch on it. The house was built in 2006 - I'm not entirely sure about the construct of the wall itself other than it being brick. I had briefly looked into cavity wall insulation before but I think the wall is not suitable for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

To really know precisely if the ventilation is more than enough youd need to know the air leakage of the house. But some posters will be say if they are roughly too much based on the size of the vents.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Quick fix on the socket could be to user painters filler around the externals of the socket. Obviously makes it a pain in the arse to remove the socket face in future.

Proper fix would be to remove the face and possible the back box and silicone around the cable and fill the hole behind with silicone.

Spray foam is not recommended it can eat through the sheeting on the cable(bad)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

When i get drafts like that coming in around a socket box or opening, i get a handful of attic insulation and pack aground the back/edges of the backing box, sometimes the backing box needs to be loosened (power off obviously).

• Advertisement
Advertisement