Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulating a conservatory

Options
  • 07-12-2020 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi, looking to get advice on the above.

What's the best way (on tight budget) to insulate a conservatory? Absolutely baltic in winter, might as well have the back door open, even with rads on full blast!

I saw some products on screwfix site, would these be sufficient? Worried about fire hazard and dampness etc..

Any advice or companies that provide this service?

Again, I don't want a whole new roof just for winter,

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭10-10-20

These might be an option, secondary glazing:

https://www.365plastics.ie/eco-secondary-glazing.html

I think that you would need polycarbonate to comply with fire regs.
    A number of the window companies offer secondary glazing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Hi, looking to get advice on the above.

What's the best way (on tight budget) to insulate a conservatory? Absolutely baltic in winter, might as well have the back door open, even with rads on full blast!

I saw some products on screwfix site, would these be sufficient? Worried about fire hazard and dampness etc..

Any advice or companies that provide this service?

Again, I don't want a whole new roof just for winter,

Cheers

How tight a budget?
    Any pictures?
    What products on screwfix site?
    You have to address all three forms of heat loss and to address this effectively does not come cheap.
    Can you close the space off from the rest of the house and forget about it for winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Close the doors to the conservatory ( assuming you have them), hang heavy curtains across the doors and forget about it until May.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

dok_golf wrote: »
    Close the doors to the conservatory ( assuming you have them), hang heavy curtains across the doors and forget about it until May.
    And turn the rads off!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

10-10-20 wrote: »
    These might be an option, secondary glazing:

https://www.365plastics.ie/eco-secondary-glazing.html

I think that you would need polycarbonate to comply with fire regs.
    A number of the window companies offer secondary glazing too.

Even with secondary glazing, the amount of cold bridging from all the framing in a conservatory is going to leave it cold, unless you effectively build another conservatory within the existing one!

OP I'd close the door on the conservatory until the outside temps warm up, if you dont have a door between it and the main house then get some heavy curtains as already recommended!

• Advertisement
Advertisement