Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house, but not using til tenant dies

Options
  • 07-12-2020 12:05am

Hi folks,

I'm Irish, live in Ireland. An older couple (early 70s) I know recently sold their house (for about 150k) and bought an apartment in Spain to live out their days. Spent about 80k buying.

I am early 30s. I was looking at what they did (move to spain) and I'd like to think it's a good idea and something I would consider myself.

So it popped into my head, I wonder how would it go down if I were to approach them and offer them say half the market value for their apartment, but although I'd own it, I'd only get the use of it when they die.

So in other words, I'd get a cheap apartment that I could retire to, and they get an extra 40k or so in their pockets to spend on themselves. Seems win-win to me.

They have kids, but theres about 8 of them, so an even split of the apartment in the will (which I reckon is the plan) would force the sale of the apartment for a fairly smallish lump sum per child.

Wondering has anyone ever been down this road or considered similar before?

Cheers folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

What happens if they live to 100 or change thier mind in 10yrs and want to sell for full market value.

What happens if they live to 100 or change thier mind in 10yrs and want to sell for full market value.

If they live to 100 that's tough luck for me, but they couldn't sell it again as theyd no longer be the owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If they live to 100 that's tough luck for me, but they couldn't sell it again as theyd no longer be the owners.
    Such agreements aren't unheard of. I think the oldest woman in France had one and she outlived the buyer!

There was one on Daft in Drumcondra recently that was subject to an agreement like you suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Check out the agreement Jeanne Calment made with an investor who bought her home in return for a stipend until she died.

Jeanne lived to 122 and outlived and the investor who’s widow had to continue paying the monthly stipend.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

yeah, 70 isn't what it used to be, unless he's already had a heart attack or 2 and she's beaten cancer or is a diabetic etc.. theres a high chance you won't be seeing that apartment for 20 something years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Who pays maintenance, insurance, property tax, management fees etc.

I guess its you. With no income from the property.

What if their kids don't like your standard of maintenance and sue you for harming their parents?

What do you do they start playing loud music at 3am cos they can't sleep. Or a grandkid moves in and bases a drug dealing business there - you can't exactly evict them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Hi folks,

I'm Irish, live in Ireland. An older couple (early 70s) I know recently sold their house (for about 150k) and bought an apartment in Spain to live out their days. Spent about 80k buying.

I am early 30s. I was looking at what they did (move to spain) and I'd like to think it's a good idea and something I would consider myself.

So it popped into my head, I wonder how would it go down if I were to approach them and offer them say half the market value for their apartment, but although I'd own it, I'd only get the use of it when they die.

So in other words, I'd get a cheap apartment that I could retire to, and they get an extra 40k or so in their pockets to spend on themselves. Seems win-win to me.

They have kids, but theres about 8 of them, so an even split of the apartment in the will (which I reckon is the plan) would force the sale of the apartment for a fairly smallish lump sum per child.

Wondering has anyone ever been down this road or considered similar before?

Cheers folks.

If you bought a similar place at full market value and rented it out for 10 years without using it yourself at all you would probably be better off financially and have an asset you can sell at anytime you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sorry, I wouldn't advise any old person or young person to touch your idea with a bargepole.

Too many unknown unknowns.

Buy what you can afford and enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LineConsole

I think you should leave the elderly couple in peace and stop scheming. They don’t need people circling them like vultures.

I’m sure they have plans for their estate after they’re gone and I doubt it involves giving you half the property for free.

I think you should leave the elderly couple in peace and stop scheming. They don’t need people circling them like vultures.

I’m sure they have plans for their estate after they’re gone and I doubt it involves giving you half the property for free.

Stop scheming? :p I'm not Dick Dastardly trying to con them out if their life savings. I'd be offering them 40k and they would have no material difference to how they plan to live their lives out.

To the other posters above, I'm 33. If the live to 100 that would be okay with me. I work in ireland so wouldn't be able to live in Spain even if I wanted to, right now. This evening would be my retirement plan, much like it was theirs.

The gist of my idea is that they would be responsible for fees, maintenance etc as they would normally be. And I'd taken over when they pass away. I dunno how realistic this is, hence asking on here.

The idea above it just buying an apartment outright and renting it for 30 years is the best alternative idea, but im not sure if it's too much headache for little return?

Youd have to buy it outright so more cost upfront. Youd have to pay management fees, and also hire a management letting company of some to sort out tenants. Plus you have the question mark over the type of tenants. Whereas I know personally the older couple and I know they take care of where they live.

Buying and renting seems like an ongoing and involved process. Whereas this would he more a case of throwing a few euro to them, signing a contract and forgetting about it for the next 20-30 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭ted1

This happens in many places. Sounds like you are more of support of their young circling the old. The op is not circling them like a vulture, he is suggesting a mutual beneficial plan, where the elderly couple have more cash in to enjoy themselves.

https://www.latimes.com/business/realestate/hot-property/la-fi-hp-death-do-us-part-deals-20170114-story.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The gist of my idea is that they would be responsible for fees, maintenance etc as they would normally be. And I'd taken over when they pass away. I dunno how realistic this is, hence asking on here.

They cannot insure what they don't own.

Also - you need legal advice from Spain if you are to even consider this. You have no way of knowing what issues local laws there ie where they live, might throw up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Stop scheming? :p I'm not Dick Dastardly trying to con them out if their life savings. I'd be offering them 40k and they would have no material difference to how they plan to live their lives out.

To the other posters above, I'm 33. If the live to 100 that would be okay with me. I work in ireland so wouldn't be able to live in Spain even if I wanted to, right now. This evening would be my retirement plan, much like it was theirs.

The idea above it just buying an apartment outright and renting it for 30 years is the best alternative idea, but im not sure if it's too much headache for little return?

Youd have to buy it outright so more cost upfront. Youd have to pay management fees, and also hire a management letting company of some to sort out tenants. Plus you have the question mark over the type of tenants. Whereas I know personally the older couple and I know they take care of where they live.

Buying and renting seems like an ongoing and involved process. Whereas this would he more a case of throwing a few euro to them, signing a contract and forgetting about it for the next 20-30 years.
    How do you know they need the 40k
    They could be quite comfortable financially
    2 pensions will go a lot further in Spain than it will here
    Plus they have 70k less costs from the sale of their house plus any savings they had

brisan wrote: »
    How do you know they need the 40k
    They could be quite comfortable financially
    2 pensions will go a lot further in Spain than it will here
    Plus they have 70k less costs from the sale of their house plus any savings they had

They should be living fairly comfortably. They have, as you say, money from the house sale, two pensions, and a lower cost of living.

They're not broke or looking between the sofa cushions for a few euro to go to the shop.

They could well laugh me out of the room at the mere suggestion of this. But to me it seems like a mutually beneficial agreement. It's also something that, if they were interested, I'd let their own children have the opportunity to buy it before I do, to avoid any family conflict incase the kids would want to do this.

The insurance aspect, local laws etc are things I'd need to find out more about. I cant imagine local laws being an issue at all though. Not sure what laws or regulations there could be that would prevent someone selling an apartment they privately own.

I'm not sure why you don't buy an apartment and rent it out. When you retire it's there for you?
    Why buy off these particular people?
    It's very strange

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

They should be living fairly comfortably. They have, as you say, money from the house sale, two pensions, and a lower cost of living.

They're not broke or looking between the sofa cushions for a few euro to go to the shop.

They could well laugh me out of the room at the mere suggestion of this. But to me it seems like a mutually beneficial agreement. It's also something that, if they were interested, I'd let their own children have the opportunity to buy it before I do, to avoid any family conflict incase the kids would want to do this.

If they aren't stuck for money then what is in it for them?

You said you expect then to pay maintenance and fees. So really, they sell you an asset that is worth 80K for 40K and still have all the ongoing costs.

bubblypop wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you don't buy an apartment and rent it out. When you retire it's there for you?
    Why buy off these particular people?
    It's very strange

Bigger upfront costs, ongoing involvement with tenancies, management agency, etc.

In what way do you think it's strange? It seems, to me, to be win-win.

If they aren't stuck for money then what is in it for them?

You said you expect then to pay maintenance and fees. So really, they sell you an asset that is worth 80K for 40K and still have all the ongoing costs.

Well that's for them to decide. At 70 they've still got, presumably 15-20 years to live. If they have, for argument sake, 70k in the bank + 2 pensions. Adding 40k to their worth could mean they could buy another apartment there and rent it out, or buy something small back in ireland (you could get an apartment here for about 100k I'd say) or they could blow it on elaborate holidays or yada yada.

Itd be entirely up to them. As I've posted above, they could laugh the idea out of the room, which would be fine. But that's for them to decide.

I wanted to post it here and make a thread to get some advice on whether anyones done it, or are there obviously flaws, etc. As there would be no point in saying it to them, and both sides agreeing its a great idea, only to find out afterward that it cant be done, if you see what I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,540 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I know personally if someone tried swooping in on my elderly parents to do a deal with them that would see them ultimately getting their properly for half the market value, I'd think it was a scam or at very least they were being taken advantage of.

This might also cause issues for them in their family re inheritance. Technically the amount you'd be 'saving' would be coming directly out of the 8 children's inheritance. Even if it's not ultimately a lot of money, don't underestimate how nasty these things can get. Bit of an extreme example, but three people just died in Ireland due to an inheritance arguement.

In simpler terms, stay clear! :) There are far less troublesome ways of investing your cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Bigger upfront costs, ongoing involvement with tenancies, management agency, etc.

In what way do you think it's strange? It seems, to me, to be win-win.
    What if the value of the property plummets in Spain as what happened during the last recession
    Spain has been one of the hardest hit countries both in economic terms and fatalities
    I can see a lot of holiday homes in Spain being sold both by nationals and non nationals alike

Will you be looking for some of your money back if the property is only worth 40k this time next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Well that's for them to decide. At 70 they've still got, presumably 15-20 years to live. If they have, for argument sake, 70k in the bank + 2 pensions. Adding 40k to their worth could mean they could buy another apartment there and rent it out, or buy something small back in ireland (you could get an apartment here for about 100k I'd say) or they could blow it on elaborate holidays or yada yada.

Itd be entirely up to them. As I've posted above, they could laugh the idea out of the room, which would be fine. But that's for them to decide.

I wanted to post it here and make a thread to get some advice on whether anyones done it, or are there obviously flaws, etc. As there would be no point in saying it to them, and both sides agreeing its a great idea, only to find out afterward that it cant be done, if you see what I mean?

I was honestly just trying to see what you thought was in it for them because i don't see an upside. The only upside I could see was if you were responsible for maintenance.

From your point of view do you think that it would be a good idea to make them responsible for maintenance? I'd assume they would do the cheapest thing possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭VanHalen

You could buy the property from them and at the same time "sell" them what's called a "life interest" - in other words the property is in your name but Land Registry would record that there is a life interest on it which means you would not be able to sell it. So you buy the property and "sell" them a life interest so you end up paying the net amount? (Not sure if that's allowed - may be seen as tax evasion). It could be that you would have to pay the full amount and that they pay for the life interest simultaneously meaning you would pay stamp duty on the full amount and they would pay CGT on the full amount. I'm guessing they would have to pay CGT as the house is no longer their PPR as they are now living in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

It's a reasonably common practice. But in reality too much hassle for a 80k place.

Just take your 40k and invest it. Likely come out with more than 40k profit after 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

They cannot insure what they don't own.

Also - you need legal advice from Spain if you are to even consider this. You have no way of knowing what issues local laws there ie where they live, might throw up.

There would likely be tax issues. Would you owe Irish or Spanish tax on the below market cost purchase? Would they owe Irish or Spanish tax on rent free accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

The parents will probably ask the kids what they think and you'll never get 8 kids to agree on the same course of action so I'd say this is never going to happen tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not as cynical as many of the others here, but I still think it's a bit contrived.

To make this workable would mean that you'd need to make sure you've covered a lot of bases. If they're living in property they only half-own, but paying no rent, there may be tax implications for them in the absence of any special arrangements. If they need to move back home, if they need to go into residential care, if they need to have modifications made, your existence complicates things.

What if they die and their estate turns to you looking for €40k that you can't raise?

This would be a messy enough arrangement between family. You're effectively a randomer to them. The €40k wouldn't be enough I'd say, any solicitor would tell them this is storing up a world of mess when they die.

Most likely they want a nice sunny retirement place where family can come visit them, which can then be passed on as a holiday villa for their children when they die.

You're assuming they'd need or want €40k. They could have gold-plated pension throwing €50k a year at them and nothing to spend it on.

I see what you're trying to do, but if you had €40k hanging around, you'd be better off putting it into a long-long investment fund to then withdraw and use to buy a retirement property when you retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭KaneToad

It's a reasonably common practice. But in reality too much hassle for a 80k place.

Just take your 40k and invest it. Likely come out with more than 40k profit after 15 years.

Really? Where would one go about getting such a return in 15 yrs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

It's like those Equity Release schemes.

Let's say you are both retred and 70. Mortgage free houes worth say, €200k. Basically a lender company will give you €100k hard cash which will be registered against your property but no repayments. When the last person dies the estate will be left to sell the house and repay the debt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 DonalHoran

Buying a property in Spain at a discount & taking possession wshen sellers pass on.
    This is an established practice in France whereby property owners over 70 sell on their property at a substantial discount - purchaser buys at a large discount but also pays a modest monthly amount to sellers. Once occupants pass on,the property reverts to original purchase - Google for details /property listing - the process is called Vigeor ??? or something that sounds similiar !!!

Advertisement