Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing underlay felt from concrete

Options
  • 06-12-2020 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

I’ve a garage/workshop floor, probably 40-50 years old. It’s in decent condition given the age.

The previous owner had a felt underlay, with lino which was then carpeted directly on top of. So the felt underlay was extremely old.

The felt has stuck to the concrete in parts, I’m not sure whether it was glued at the time or just bonded over time. There are definite areas that stuck more than others, possibly indicating wear areas.

The area is about 5x4m with c. 50-60% having remaining felt but not in a defined pattern.
    The concrete is level in the main and has a slightly textured surface, similar to when you finish a slab with a hard brush when laying.

My plan is to paint the floor eventually as it’s only a workshop area for diy etc.
    I would rather not have to level it with compound after I get rid of the felt but will if I have to.

I’m wondering has anyone any suggestions on how to remove the remaining felt?

I’m happy to use an element of “elbow grease” but not on my hands and knees for hours with a scraper. I also don’t think a scraper with actually get all of the fibres off.
    I’m also happy with an element of cost, such as buying a chemical cleaner or hiring a concrete grinder etc.

My apprehension of using a concrete grinder is the damage it may do to a concrete floor that is in otherwise very good condition.

A chemical that can be brushed with a hard brush may be best to get all of the fibres given the slight texture to the floor, but I’d want to be certain it will work.

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Get a floor scraper and get up as much as you can, then get a floor planer/grinder and give it a quick skim. They're easy to use and dont dig in unless you keep it in one place for a few seconds, so just keep moving it around.
    Make sure you use a vacuum and wear a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Be very careful. Alot of older linos were stuck down with asbestos adhesive. You don't want to just go hacking at that without knowing what it is.

It can be sealed in with levelling compound without touching it.

Advertisement