Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorised Valve Water Hammer

Options
  • 06-12-2020 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Looking at the other thread on heating bangs made me think about my system. When the hot water or downstairs valves are shut, there is a what appears to be water hammer. I thought the eph vales were just noisy as they're different to the original danfoss. The EPH have a ball in the valve which locks in the closed position and spins when open, the danfoss open fully (I was able to tell from the spare parts).

The system was upgraded about 18 months ago, with an additional motorised valve installed for the hot water. The plumber replaced one of the existing danfoss vales with the eph and added the hot water valve. The existing danfoss valve doesn't have any water hammer.

Googling suggests that the eph vales are installed in the wrong direction. I attach a couple of pics of the hot press. From what I can tell by feeling the pipes when turning the boiler on, the water flows following the red arrows, this would confirm the vales are back to front.

Are the eph vales installed the wrong way? If so, apart from the bang when the valves are turned off, will this cause any issues?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

valve is pointing the wrong way and could cause your problem.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Lack of bypass is the issue. Nothing else

Myson and danfoss barely seal so will do without a bypass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Hi guys, a little off topic. My heating is struggling to turn on but fine once it does come on. There is a struggling humming sound coming from one of the two Mason motorised valves in the hot press so pretty certain they need to be replaced. Im pretty handy with electrical work so do you think a replacement is something I could tackle myself? Thanks

Advertisement