Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rural WIFI- would google WiFi help

Options
  • 06-12-2020 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I live in rural Ireland and our internet speed is very slow. Just wondering would purchasing google WiFi improve our internet speed or is google WiFi more so for eliminating WiFi weakpoints around the house without increasing internet speeding

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭long_b

Kkman00 wrote: »
    I live in rural Ireland and our internet speed is very slow. Just wondering would purchasing google WiFi improve our internet speed or is google WiFi more so for eliminating WiFi weakpoints around the house without increasing internet speeding

It won't increase the speed to the premises I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

At the entry point to house ie modem or router, what type of speed are u getting (laptop connected with a wire)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kkman00

TheDriver wrote: »
    At the entry point to house ie modem or router, what type of speed are u getting (laptop connected with a wire)

Connections using laptop is all wireless would never use a wire. But speeds at the moment are usually about 1-2.5mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kkman00

long_b wrote: »
    It won't increase the speed to the premises I'm afraid

So google WiFi has no effect on internet speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭long_b

So google WiFi has no effect on internet speeds?

A good WiFi router will let you get every last bit of Internet speed that's coming into your house and will give you good WiFi coverage in your house, but it won't increase the Internet speed that's coming in to you.

So Google WiFi will not be a "bottleneck" but it won't increase the speed to, say, 20 Mb/sec or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Connections using laptop is all wireless would never use a wire. But speeds at the moment are usually about 1-2.5mbps
    Can u connect a wire and turm WiFi off on laptop? It's important to start with a wired speed as there could be channel interference etc.

Advertisement