Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommendations for Baby Car Seat

• 06-12-2020 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I'm really confused about which car seat to buy for a newborn baby. We have been recommended the Maxi Cosi Pebble and the BeSafe Izi Go Modular X1. One shop was really pushing the BeSafe saying it's the safest one. I'm just a little concerned as I've heard that baby can grow out of it quite quickly. If they grow out of it before being ready for the next stage, will we end up buying another slightly bigger baby car seat? Are there any other ones that people would recommend? Thank you

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

FR2021 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm really confused about which car seat to buy for a newborn baby. We have been recommended the Maxi Cosi Pebble and the BeSafe Izi Go Modular X1. One shop was really pushing the BeSafe saying it's the safest one. I'm just a little concerned as I've heard that baby can grow out of it quite quickly. If they grow out of it before being ready for the next stage, will we end up buying another slightly bigger baby car seat? Are there any other ones that people would recommend? Thank you

Kids fly out of car seats. We've the pebble, and we'll likely just get 6 months out of it as a buggy seat and maybe 10 months out of it as a car seat. Handy to have if you have more kids down the line, but yeah, and expensive short term item.

Ended up getting a simple car seat in smyths at 10 months, and bought a swivel seat from a friend shortly after. Swivel seats great, but do reduce the amount of leg room the child will have as they grow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I wouldn’t buy anything other than a maxi cosi cabriofix to be honest. Great little seat, mine is on its fourth baby and still perfect. It’s got a bigger shell than some others so one of the longest lasting. My littlest is 17 months and will probably get to the summer out of it. Her older brother was a big baby and was in it until 17 months

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭cornflake1

jlm29 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t buy anything other than a maxi cosi cabriofix to be honest. Great little seat, mine is on its fourth baby and still perfect. It’s got a bigger shell than some others so one of the longest lasting. My littlest is 17 months and will probably get to the summer out of it. Her older brother was a big baby and was in it until 17 months

Agree, moved my first daughter out of the cabriofix at 18 months, only because I had to free it up for the new baby. She could have stayed in longer. My second daughter is up in the 90th centiles for weight and height and almost got to 18 months with her. Great little seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

As above the Cabriofix is the longest lasting infant car seat and very reasonable. You can then get a rearfacing car seat up to 25kg which will last until between 4 and 7 depending on your child. Rear facing until at least 4 is 5 times safer than forward facing. Then a good high back booster can last until they don’t need a car seat any more for an averaged sized child. So if you choose wisely you’ll only need 3 seats. There’s a great Facebook group for advice on rearfacing seats (and they will recommend high back boosters if the child is over 4 and it’s suitable). I can’t get the link on my phone but it’s called “Ireland -Rear Facing Car seats for toddlers and children”.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Apologies, it's the cabriofix we have, not the pebble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Have no experience with the pebble but between the cabriofix and the besafe izi go I would reccomend the besafe.
    Think how long the seat lasts is relative to the baby using it. Had the cabriofix on my first and we didnt get the year out it. He was off the charts for his height and weight and there's no way he could have used it to 18months.
    Bought the besafe on number two and he was in it until he was 15 months. He was a totally different baby size wise. My third is using the besafe now so it will be interesting to see how long she gets out of it.
    In terms of the actual seat the besafe has a 5 point harness and the cabriofix has a 3 point harness(unless this has changed since 2013). Found the maxicosi hood very flimsy, much prefer the besafe hood. The besafe has magnetic straps that are so handy when putting the baby in the seat, no rummaging under their bums for the straps!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

We had the pebble and got until about 13/14 months with it. We moved to the AXkid from that as we wanted to stay rear facing for as long as possible, it will hopefully do her til 4/5 or whenever we hit 23kg. Our little one was on the upper end of the percentile for her age, we probably could have gotten another month or so out of the pebble. Pebble has 5 point harness and is i-size, which is the more up to date safety standard. We had the base with the pebble so very easy to use. We got a base that would have done for the next size up maxi cosi (pearl I think) but that would have only done til 18 kg, which we probably would have hit at 2.5years with our little one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Just had a ordinary maxi cozi (which we borrowed) for a few months before moving both into the Joie Stages car seat. II think we moved both one to the stages once they hit the correct weight for it and found them much better than the maxis. I find the maxi cozies such a waste of money, more of yet another thing to buy that you do not really need

Advertisement