Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring/chasing question for an electrician

Options
  • 05-12-2020 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

I’m wondering if it’s reasonable to ask an electrician to chase a concrete floor to bring wiring to an island. The Hazel type house at the following link: http://millerstown.ie/houses/#sycamore

If you look at the floor plan or virtual tour, the plan is to make the island a little bigger and move the island to the centre of the room. I would like to have 2 socks on either end and possibly a socked behind the kick board to be able to plug in a wine cooler or such. I don’t believe there is power to it as is.

Is it reasonable to expect an electrician to bring the cabling to the island from the fuse board? Would this be chiselling or consawing the concrete and putting the cabling in metal ducting or such? Or is it more realistic to go perpendicular from an existing wire in the kitchen? Or do I need somebody to chase the concrete floor? Obviously this would all be done before flooring is out down.

Is there a regulation to how the cables are run? Can cables be run behind the kitchen ducting or is it better to go a straight line from the fuse board?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Very common job. Might need to ask the builder too make the chase and then the spark to install the cables. It would require additional protection as you say but that isn’t a big issue really. As to if the sockets can looped off the existing circuit in the kitchen would depend on the number of outlets circuit already. Best inform the spark tho ASAP so he can get the cable in whilst still on the first fix

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Very common job. Might need to ask the builder too make the chase and then the spark to install the cables. It would require additional protection as you say but that isn’t a big issue really. As to if the sockets can looped off the existing circuit in the kitchen would depend on the number of outlets circuit already. Best inform the spark tho ASAP so he can get the cable in whilst still on the first fix

Thanks a mill. The main issue is the builder is refusing to make any changes, so I’m trying to figure out who and what I need to make it work after snagging and before flooring. Will electricians chase the floor? Or do I need to look for someone else to do it? Does the chase need to be just big enough to take a metal conduit or some such?

In that case, would it be reasonable to run one cable and have three double sockets on the circuit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Thanks a mill. The main issue is the builder is refusing to make any changes, so I’m trying to figure out who and what I need to make it work after snagging and before flooring. Will electricians chase the floor? Or do I need to look for someone else to do it? Does the chase need to be just big enough to take a metal conduit or some such?

In that case, would it be reasonable to run one cable and have three double sockets on the circuit?

The electrician should be able to make this happen easily. He will probably chase it himself, or get someone else to do it for him - it’s probably 20 mins work.

He would probably be more likely to use an SWA cable which incorporates mechanical protection rather than use steel conduit - again it’s bread and butter stuff and he will be well able to organise.

For the purpose you propose, he may well just take this cable from the kitchen ring circuit to supply the island - no issue with their being three sockets

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭EletricMan

New house so I am assuming it has underfloor heating. If it has you will be unable to chase the floor due to the heating pipes.

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    The electrician should be able to make this happen easily. He will probably chase it himself, or get someone else to do it for him - it’s probably 20 mins work.

He would probably be more likely to use an SWA cable which incorporates mechanical protection rather than use steel conduit - again it’s bread and butter stuff and he will be well able to organise.

Thank you, my plan really was to potentially get a spark for a day maybe. Have a few planned jobs, power to the island, tie on some sockets to others, power to the attic, outdoor socket etc. Just trying to come up with the best way to convince a spark it’s worthwhile and wondering if I need to have a plasterer and or someone to chase also.

Honestly, stuff that I think would be peanuts to the sparks wiring the house, but at the mercy of the builder it seems. Probably end up undoing and redoing some of the snags/plastering etc, but I think it’s def better to do at the beginning before floors and decorating...

• Advertisement

EletricMan wrote: »
    New house so I am assuming it has underfloor heating. If it has you will be unable to chase the floor due to the heating pipes.

No, no underfloor heating that I’m aware of, gas CH. out of curiosity, are you out of luck for power to an island if there was underfloor heating?

No, no underfloor heating that I’m aware of, gas CH. out of curiosity, are you out of luck for power to an island if there was underfloor heating?

It may present a difficulty in chasing the floor if the finished floor is already down.

Would suggest asking the electrician who is doing the work rather than bringing someone else in. You may create issues with certification by introducing someone else.

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    It may present a difficulty in chasing the floor if the finished floor is already down.

Would suggest asking the electrician who is doing the work rather than bringing someone else in. You may create issues with certification by introducing someone else.

Yeah that would make sense but I suppose it would have to be a nixxer for one of the guys on the site because the developer is having none of additional requests.

Considering there is no underfloor heating, i assume it’s straightforward for a spark?

Yeah that would make sense but I suppose it would have to be a nixxer for one of the guys on the site because the developer is having none of additional requests.

Considering there is no underfloor heating, i assume it’s straightforward for a spark?

Well the building will have engaged a registered electrical contractor - I would approach them directly and ask them to advise you / do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Be interested to hear how you get on with this OP. I am trying to get socket to Island in a new development in Meath. EA were useless in dealing with so have got in contact with foreman direct. Still waiting to hear back from him on price.

• Advertisement

Be interested to hear how you get on with this OP. I am trying to get socket to Island in a new development in Meath. EA were useless in dealing with so have got in contact with foreman direct. Still waiting to hear back from him on price.

Yeah I can understand why they don’t want to add things for people in case of delays, people pulling out for whatever reason, wrong house being done etc. But I would have though that once you’ve signed contracts that would have been enough to consider some reasonable requests...

We have been told that if there is a chance of anything happening, it’s at the snag stage. In my book that would be fine, I know you’re undoing some of your finishes, but you’re getting the same contractors who know the wiring, plumbing and finishes. The alternative is more risky in terms of a spark taking the job and a plasterer leaving the same finish.

In our case one house type has a wired island, others don’t. I would expect therefore they would be able to make all of my proposed changes in less than about 2 hours all in if they did it at the time of first fix... maybe a little longer at snag stage but still minor additions

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

OP I just bought a new build and asked for changes to electrics. Builder sent me his electrician's number, gave him a wish list, he suggested a few others, sent me an invoice and he put them all in. At snag he had missed a couple of them and was easy to get them sorted ( a light strip and a couple of spots were not second fixed). Everyone else in the estate did similar. Very surprised if this isn't the norm, so push your builder.

Also, surprised there's no power to island. That was standard in ours.

stiofan85 wrote: »
    OP I just bought a new build and asked for changes to electrics. Builder sent me his electrician's number, gave him a wish list, he suggested a few others, sent me an invoice and he put them all in. At snag he had missed a couple of them and was easy to get them sorted ( a light strip and a couple of spots were not second fixed). Everyone else in the estate did similar. Very surprised if this isn't the norm, so push your builder.

Also, surprised there's no power to island. That was standard in ours.

This would be the ideal to be honest, I agree with you. Will push the site foreman so :)

Advertisement