Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulating New Garden Shed

Options
  • 05-12-2020 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi all,

Sorry I know this has been asked before but I wanted to hear peoples thoughts.

I got a new garden shed and I wanted to insulate and wire it. Does anyone know any cost effective ways of doing this? I looked into 25mm Kingspan and then 12mm plywood but the material costs are going to be around €600.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,294 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

whats behind the plastic and black felt
    Looks good, serious shekels.

what will it used for?
    My concern with all the plastic is good ventilation

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭CantThinkOfANam

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The white plastic is pvc, and behind that is the outer pressure treated wood. The manufacture said to remove that with a blade if using an insulation board, but not if I use a fibre insulation.

Behind the black felt is a metal roof.

My issue with insulation board is the high costs, and it’ll be difficult to do the first fix wiring as the batons are 34mm and the board is 25mm.

My issue with fibre is I believe that can’t be squashed and packed in by the plywood?

Hi,

I decided to use 25mm rockwool finished off with 12mm hardwood ply.

I had intended doing the same with the roof but I just noticed that there is already white aero board insulation above a black lining (see pic).

Would it be a bad idea to put a layer of rockwool below this black lining or could that lead to problems with moisture and sweating?

Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That looks good. Very clean lines. I suppose it depends on a few things. What's the spec of this aero board? Is it EPS or PIR? What depth? Is the black lining a vapour barrier?

Hi,

Afraid all I can say is that it’s EPS, can’t see what depth it is or even what that black lining is. I’ve contacted the shed manufacturer but waiting for a reply.

I would prefer not to have to use rockwool there but then I don’t want to regret the loss of heat after going through all the work insulting the walls.

Thanks for the reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

Hi,

Afraid all I can say is that it’s EPS, can’t see what depth it is or even what that black lining is. I’ve contacted the shed manufacturer but waiting for a reply.

I would prefer not to have to use rockwool there but then I don’t want to regret the loss of heat after going through all the work insulting the walls.

Thanks for the reply.

AFAIK Insulating a shed during the cold months is only worthwhile if you have heat in it. Otherwise it's like a fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,027 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

U value of 25mm rockwool is only 1.4 if I've calculated correctly.

What is the space going to be used for?

policarp wrote: »
    AFAIK Insulating a shed during the cold months is only worthwhile if you have heat in it. Otherwise it's like a fridge.

Hi,

Yes I’ll have a heater in it.

Lumen wrote: »
    U value of 25mm rockwool is only 1.4 if I've calculated correctly.

What is the space going to be used for?

Hi,

I plan on doing some hobby building and also for storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,027 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Hi,

I plan on doing some hobby building and also for storage.

Ok. Well I guess if you have a heater on full blast it should take the edge off the chill while you're in there for a couple of hours, but you won't be able to keep it continuously heated to a comfortable temperature without a big electricity bill.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Ok. Well I guess if you have a heater on full blast it should take the edge off the chill while you're in there for a couple of hours, but you won't be able to keep it continuously heated to a comfortable temperature without a big electricity bill.

I was fairly limited as to the thickness of the material as the batons are only 33mm thick. I used the following insulation:

https://www.goodwins.ie/products/rockwool-rwa45-slab-25mm-1-2x600mm-11-5m2-1252119.html

At the end of the day it’s just a garden shed and I realise it won’t be perfect ;)

Would really love to hear peoples opinions on the roof though. Pros/cons adding rockwool under the black lining.

As far as I can see the aero board is approx 20mm thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Heffoman

A good thread I'll be keeping an eye on this.
    I bought a steeltech shed myself that finally came in December. like yourself I hope to convert it to a home office and gym.

It came with 40mm insulation but it will definitely need more than that if I intend to use it as an office. I m not the most DIY person in the world so the bro in law is going to handle that aspect when its safe to do so. Now just to figure out what to actually do with it.#

Best of luck with your build.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,375 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So has the insulation made much difference. I've similar shed, used for storing bikes, tumble dryer etc. might move out there to work if the kids are staying off work.

has anyone used the infrared heater in a shed?

did you take off the felt lining?

Good morning,

I haven’t finished it yet. I have one gable end to do then I’ll be moving onto the roof.

Not planning on removing the vapour barrier but I’m starting to think I’ll place Rockwell below it cos I want it insulated best I can. I have a 2kw heater as well so will see how that goes.

Afternoon,

Out of interest are you insulating the floor. And if so how?
    Was advised to put a layer of insulation under it.

No not for now anyway. Only reason is that I don’t want to loose any head clearance and I can do this later if I feel the need to - most likely when I’m bored😀

But I’ll definitely be looking into it in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

25mm kingspan and 12 mm osb for the floor would do wonders for it
    Only a 37mm rise on floor level

25mm kingspan and 12 mm osb for the floor would do wonders for it
    Only a 37mm rise on floor level

Thanks Bonzo, since Heffoman mentioned it yesterday its been on my mind to do it. How would I go about fixing the OSB? Screwed through the kingpan to the original floor?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Can i ask where you got the original shed? Good job with the insulation btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,375 ✭✭✭✭ted1

vicwatson wrote: »
    Can i ask where you got the original shed? Good job with the insulation btw.

Looks similar to the one I got.

https://www.gardenshedsforsale.ie/index.php/our-sheds/superior-range/8ft-x-10ft-superior-shed

The membrane is a little extra. As is the steel roof. Worth it to avoid felt

Hi,

It's from Boyne Garden Sheds, not cheap but they look above and beyond the norm. Pressure treated wood, tile effect metal roof, gutter on one side (I put gutter myself on opposite side).

ted1 wrote: »
    Looks similar to the one I got.

https://www.gardenshedsforsale.ie/index.php/our-sheds/superior-range/8ft-x-10ft-superior-shed

The membrane is a little extra. As is the steel roof. Worth it to avoid felt

Oh yeh, no felt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

Do you need ventilation too?

Do you need ventilation too?

I’m not a professional but I reckon there’ll be enough ventilation coming from the unsealed door.

Anyone know if any shed companies will installers a shed about a metre above ground on a cemented block base?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

Timbertrove are very accommodating in general - hive them a call

So finally got the shed finished.

Was wondering if anyone could recommend a good protector/sealant to put on the outside of the shed? I plan on painting the shed in the spring but for now I just want to protect it from all this rain.

Thanks.

Thanks Bonzo, since Heffoman mentioned it yesterday its been on my mind to do it. How would I go about fixing the OSB? Screwed through the kingpan to the original floor?

Just seeing this now. Me and my dad did the floor in the shed last week.
    Used 40mm insulation and osb hinge and groove. To say I am generally useless at this sort of thing would be on the mark.

But we did a decent job and it looks well so far. put a layer of plastic sheet between the insulation and the board. We haven't fixed the board to anything yet. But its very firm with no slipping or bounce.

• Advertisement
Advertisement