Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OpenDNS

Options
  • 05-12-2020 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

Does a VPN defeat OpenDNS filtering?

Had DNS on my router set to OpenDNS for a couple of years. Worked without any problems. I think it filtered http connections made through a VPN, though not sure. Maybe it didn't, if that's the purpose of a VPN.

I just set up an OpenDNS account and set my ISP-allocated IP address as my network and set the filtering level.

This works, as long as the router DNS is also set to OpenDNS and with no VPN active.

What I'm asking is - does a VPN defeat OpenDNS filtering and is it necessary to have the router configured as well as having settings for my account/IP address?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Does a VPN defeat OpenDNS filtering?

Had DNS on my router set to OpenDNS for a couple of years. Worked without any problems. I think it filtered http connections made through a VPN, though not sure. Maybe it didn't, if that's the purpose of a VPN.

I just set up an OpenDNS account and set my ISP-allocated IP address as my network and set the filtering level.

This works, as long as the router DNS is also set to OpenDNS and with no VPN active.

What I'm asking is - does a VPN defeat OpenDNS filtering and is it necessary to have the router configured as well as having settings for my account/IP address?

Yes of course it does. OpenDNS without very strict port 53 firewall redirects on the router is very easy to bypass with a static DNS entry on the end device. But then a VPN is a tunnel to another network which would even bypass a redirect, everything goes through the tunnel. When using a VPN your public IP is the VPN network IP, not your ISP provided one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Computer policy could prevent setting DNS on a particular PC?

If the VPN IP is added to OpenDNS as a network would the "Enable dynamic IP update" work (with an Updater)?

Just to make things a bit tighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Not sure why you want to tunnel all your traffic through a VPN. This will have drastic effects on your speed. Can't you connect the VPN from your client and leave your own local network as is giving you better control? When using a VPN you are at the mercy of the VPN provider, you are only encrypted to their network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

It's not that I use a vpn, rarely do. Was trying OpenDNS as a family filter and was wondering how easy it might be to circumvent.

It will probably be fine with the defaults.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It's not that I use a vpn, rarely do. Was trying OpenDNS as a family filter and was wondering how easy it might be to circumvent.

Trivial.

You allow HTTPS and you allow a VPN tunnel out. All restrictions blown to bits. You've lost as soon as conception happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭emaherx

I use OpenDNS for this reason and find it very good.
    Some routers have an option to enforce DNS settings on client devices which gives an extra layer of security.

Problem is once kids reach a certain age and and level of understanding of technology no parental filter will work. Kids in this category will need to be given some benefit of the doubt and should be at a mature enough level where parental guidance and clear communication will be of more benefit than any parental filter software.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

Is this used for DNS filtering?

Advertisement