Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War of Independence 100 years

Options
  • 05-12-2020 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

TG4 to their credit have shown some great documentaries during the year around the 1920 War of Independence, RTE have shown a few light touch programmes but are afraid to upset any of the neighbors in Donnybrook and South Dublin or Charlie Flanagan.

Two Good documentaries tonight 715 Tom Barry and the West Cork IRA and tomorrow night 610 Dan Breen and the Tipperary IRA.

Just shows similar to Armagh and Tyrone in recent years Cork and Tipperary had plenty of young men who wanted to shoot British soldiers and their helpers when they were in their neck of the woods, Tom Barry and Dan Breen are turning in their grave that we dont have a United Ireland 100 years later only the same three quarters free Ireland.

Comments

LuasSimon wrote: »
    TG4 to their credit have shown some great documentaries during the year around the 1920 War of Independence, RTE have shown a few light touch programmes but are afraid to upset any of the neighbors in Donnybrook and South Dublin or Charlie Flanagan.

Two Good documentaries tonight 715 Tom Barry and the West Cork IRA and tomorrow night 610 Dan Breen and the Tipperary IRA.

Just shows similar to Armagh and Tyrone in recent years Cork and Tipperary had plenty of young men who wanted to shoot British soldiers and their helpers when they were in their neck of the woods, Tom Barry and Dan Breen are turning in their grave that we dont have a United Ireland 100 years later only the same three quarters free Ireland.

Plenty ready to shoot fellow Irish men, men they had fought alongside months earlier.

I wonder what country we'd have had Dev et al not done what they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭mattser

• Registered Users Posts: 19,265 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

So, are you saying that if the Nordies had tried a bit harder back in the 20's, rather than sitting on their holes for 50 years, that the whole island might have been freed?

It's an unusual slant! I reckon you'll upset a few people with that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,131 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's getting tough around here lately with the type of subjects that come up in posts.

I'm not sure whether this post is

a) Brit bashing.
    b) RTE bashing.
    c) FG bashing.

Come to think of it, it's probably all three.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Plenty ready to shoot fellow Irish men, men they had fought alongside months earlier.

Well indeed, also known as The Anglo Irish war of independence, waged against "Crown Forces" who were in many instances fellow countrymen, Irish men, from the other side of the tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Well indeed, also known as The Anglo Irish war of independence, waged against "Crown Forces" who were in many instances fellow countrymen, Irish men, from the other side of the tracks.

Murdering their own people to secure things for the crown. The type Charlie Tanagan wanted to celebrate.

Irish nationalist "freedom fighters" v occupying British forces has a different ring from what went on in the civil war.

750 odd years of trying to throw the Brits out, the first victory, and we went at each others throats.

The civil war was an absolute waste.
    The anti-treaty had no mandate for what they did, and were beaten, and acquised to the treaty at the end anyway. That which they wanted was achieved politically a few years later.

Bowie wrote: »
    Murdering their own people to secure things for the crown. The type Charlie Tanagan wanted to celebrate.

So much to unpack in such a short paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Dev the coward was nothing but bad for this country. He should have stayed in America and just sent the funds to us. It was him and his followers that started the civil war and without him we would have had a full united Ireland. Maybe it would have taken more time and maybe there would not have been the troubles but we were getting there still are just differently now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Oo's Charlie Tanagan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭Odhinn

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Dan Breen seemed to come across as a pragmatist with social principles, not a die hard ideologue.
    I doubt that he would have supported the terrorists in the modern day IRA.

Having said that though, he was a guerrilla fighter, with no remorse for killing RIC men.

Good on TG4 for this production. Well worth the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭Odhinn

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Yep. It's still in print afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

As my Grandfather used say , we should have all remained under British rule or else had a United Ireland.....not the fudge of a 3/4 free Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

No harm shoehorning your own agenda, the faintest tangent to this thread achieved when you made certain to name-check Barry & Breen. Bravo.

Those men fought for a free, independent homeland for the Irish people. Not for Nigerians. Not for Egyptians. Not for gay Indians. What so hard to understand?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    This was very interesting. Well worth the watch:

Dan Breen- My Fight for Irish Freedom

Does anyone have the book I wonder?

I have it somewhere. Some of it very far fetched.

I recall his story of a fight at a house called Fernside in Drumcondra in which he claimed him and Sean Treacy killed 13 British soldiers who raided them. That would've been the most extraordinary feat of arms since Thermopylae.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A call to many countries to repatriate all Irish back to their homeland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I have it somewhere. Some of it very far fetched.

I recall his story of a fight at a house called Fernside in Drumcondra in which he claimed him and Sean Treacy killed 13 British soldiers who raided them. That would've been the most extraordinary feat of arms since Thermopylae.

Mount Street Bridge would have been a better comparison

coinop wrote: »
    Those men fought for a free, independent homeland for the Irish people. Not for Nigerians. Not for Egyptians. Not for gay Indians. What so hard to understand?

You wouldn't be a fan of Thomas Davis then I'm guessing, nor Connolly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

A couple of weeks ago RTE had a very good documentary on the Celebrity Love Island-esque Bloody Sunday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,914 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

coinop do not post in this thread again

Mount Street Bridge would have been a better comparison

MSB was where Volunteers garrisoned themselves strategically and were fully aware of an attack coming and where it was coming from.

'Fernside' saw two men asleep in their beds raided by a platoon of soldiers with the element of surprise, not only escape but kill over a dozen armed only with pistols.

'Fernside' saw two men asleep in their beds raided by a platoon of soldiers with the element of surprise, not only escape but kill over a dozen armed only with pistols.
    Which is exactly how Thermopylae went down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Watched the documentary last night about Tom Barry and the West Cork brigade last night . Top stuff , well done to TnaG a real Irish TV station

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

You wouldn't be a fan of Thomas Davis then I'm guessing, nor Connolly

Connolly had a rather different view to the importation of below wage rate workers than you perhaps :)

Which is exactly how Thermopylae went down

So my comparison was good!

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Connolly had a rather different view to the importation of below wage rate workers than you perhaps :)

Was this when he migrated to the US as an unskilled worker?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Was this when he migrated to the US as an unskilled worker?

Like nearly everyone in America!

Ireland is not America, and many economic migrants to Ireland ended up in the Liffey and the Lagan when Connolly was running the ITGWU/

• Advertisement
Advertisement