Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Registering a new PHEV or Electric car in a county other than where you reside?

  • 05-12-2020 10:12am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭ AidenL


    I’m about to buy a new PHEV, it will be a new 530e.

    On past occasions, I use register the car on D plates even though I don’t live in Dublin, as it supposedly made it easier to sell, as a D plate had wider appeal, a larger market, especially if it was a more expensive car.

    I’ve been told by the dealer that as there are grants involved from SEAI for the car and the charger, they need my MPRN number, a copy of my electricity bill for proof of residence, and that the car will have to be registered to the address which links to the MPRN. The grant for the car will be applied for in December and I’ll be collecting in January.

    Just wondering is this totally correct. And is there any way to get a D plate other than have an address with an MPRN on in Dublin.

    Dealer actually said the days of them worrying about plates are gone, the roads in Donegal and Kerry are now actually better than in Dublin, so that old theory of ‘bad roads damaging suspension’ doesn’t hold true any more, and they have a used car stock range with number plates from Cavan, Tipp and so on, and they move them same as D reg.

    Any thoughts?


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭ jhegarty


    Here is what Tesla asked for the grant. I didn't have to send an esb bill.


    - How do you propose to charge the vehicle at your property? [e.g. Tesla Wall Connector, public charging]
    - Are you the property owner or tenant?
    - In the case of tenant, have you secured permission from the property owner to fit an external domestic charge point to charge your vehicle? [Yes/No, N/A]
    - If you are not the property owner, have you secured permission from the property owner/bill owner to allow SEAI access to your electricity consumption? [Yes/No, N/A]
    - Please provide your Meter Point Reference Number. [MPRN; can be found at the top of your electricity bill]
    - Please provide the name of your Electricity supplier.


  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭ AidenL


    jhegarty wrote: »
    Here is what Tesla asked for the grant. I didn't have to send an esb bill.


    - How do you propose to charge the vehicle at your property? [e.g. Tesla Wall Connector, public charging]
    - Are you the property owner or tenant?
    - In the case of tenant, have you secured permission from the property owner to fit an external domestic charge point to charge your vehicle? [Yes/No, N/A]
    - If you are not the property owner, have you secured permission from the property owner/bill owner to allow SEAI access to your electricity consumption? [Yes/No, N/A]
    - Please provide your Meter Point Reference Number. [MPRN; can be found at the top of your electricity bill]
    - Please provide the name of your Electricity supplier.

    The MPRN is tied to the address anyway. Did you register in a different county than residing in?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭ Dohvolle


    When I was buying my UK import PHEV recently, the dealer asked me if I wanted C plates (I live in Cork) as if it was an option. It appears you can register the car where you register it, but the county of registration is up to you. It's all done from one office in Shannon now, not like the old days when the County Councils dealt with it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭ jhegarty


    AidenL wrote: »
    The MPRN is tied to the address anyway. Did you register in a different county than residing in?

    No , I wanted the C reg.


  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭ AidenL


    Dohvolle wrote: »
    When I was buying my UK import PHEV recently, the dealer asked me if I wanted C plates (I live in Cork) as if it was an option. It appears you can register the car where you register it, but the county of registration is up to you. It's all done from one office in Shannon now, not like the old days when the County Councils dealt with it.
    I suppose though as an import, there was no SEAI grant applicable though.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭ AidenL


    jhegarty wrote: »
    No , I wanted the C reg.

    Yep, I suppose I’m trying to get a reg other than where I live. I’d be happy to have my home county reg, if it makes no difference at trade in time.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭ carsfan2


    I bought a new BMW 330e and same thing happened with me. I usually get a D reg too but in this case had to take my home county to avail of the grants, so dealer is correct on this. He’s not being entirely true on the resale side though. When I went to trade it in two BMW dealers in Dublin were reluctant to take it and one offered me less and he said it was because of the reg.


  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭ AidenL


    carsfan2 wrote: »
    I bought a new BMW 330e and same thing happened with me. I usually get a D reg too but in this case had to take my home county to avail of the grants, so dealer is correct on this. He’s not being entirely true on the resale side though. When I went to trade it in two BMW dealers in Dublin were reluctant to take it and one offered me less and he said it was because of the reg.
    I suppose it’s the downside of the grants, but based on what you say, and what I’ve been told, it’s probably unavoidable.

    I suspected as much on the trade in tbh.


  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭ NBar


    just register it in Dublin at a friends residence, you only need a bill or bank statement and then after change address back to where you live and then apply for the grant, don't let the dealer bully you into doing it all together as you can apply for the grant when your ready


  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭ AidenL


    NBar wrote: »
    just register it in Dublin at a friends residence, you only need a bill or bank statement and then after change address back to where you live and then apply for the grant, don't let the dealer bully you into doing it all together as you can apply for the grant when your ready

    They say I can’t do that, as the grant for the car itself is linked to my MPRN. I used do as you described with the ICE cars.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭ Dohvolle


    AidenL wrote: »
    I suppose though as an import, there was no SEAI grant applicable though.

    There is.


  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭ AidenL


    Dohvolle wrote: »
    There is.

    On the car or the charger?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭ Dohvolle


    On the car.
    Vehicles purchased new in Ireland, privately imported as new or second hand and registered in Ireland in 2018 or later and and second hand vehicles purchased in Ireland are eligible.

    https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/electric-vehicle-home-charger-grant/


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,919 ✭✭✭✭ Calahonda52


    AidenL wrote: »
    They say I can’t do that, as the grant for the car itself is linked to my MPRN. I used do as you described with the ICE cars.

    the grant for the charger is linked to the mprn, not the grant for the car.. just suppose you can't install a charger because of where you live, then wtf does dealer need your mprn


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭ JohnC.


    the grant for the charger is linked to the mprn, not the grant for the car.. just suppose you can't install a charger because of where you live, then wtf does dealer need your mprn

    But they do need it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭ AidenL


    I’m even more confused now.

    Is the MPRN tied to the grant and rebate you apply for? Or to the car charger grant? Or both? If only the first, I could possibly forego the car charger grant for a while and just use the granny cable at home. If the MPRN rules all, I guess I will have to stick with the home county plate, just I’m concerned at appeal to a narrower market at trade in time.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭ JohnC.


    The dealer fills in the MPRN on their form for the car grant (Page 6, section 2.4 in this guide). You fill it in on your form for the charge point grant.


  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭ AidenL


    JohnC. wrote: »
    The dealer fills in the MPRN on their form for the car grant (Page 6, section 2.4 in this guide). You fill it in on your form for the charge point grant.

    Thank you. Do you reckon I can get the car registered at an address other than the one on the MPRN?


Advertisement