Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recreational cannabis in Ireland

Options
  • 04-12-2020 6:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

When will the Dail legislate for it? We would do ourselves well to legalize it for not just medicinal but recreational use and see an increase in tourism revenue.

It's bollocks that alcohol is legal and cannabis isn't when the worst thing about the latter is a mental breakdown. Alcohol causes a deterioration in the users own health, death, violence etc... It's the worst drug ever and should be classified on the same level as hard drugs like amphetamines and PCP.

Canada and the US (in some states) have done it so why not us?

Would you vote to legalize recreational cannabis use 54 votes

Yes I would vote to legalize cannabis for personal use
    70% 38 votes
    No I would vote to keep cannabis an illegal drug
    29% 16 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Are you against drinking Mr F or just pro weed ?

I think theres a greater chance of weed being legalised than drink being banned...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Always find the alcohol vs weed argument amusing.

Most alcoholics can get through the working day without a can.

Most alcoholics don't need a drink to get out of bed.

Most alcoholics don't need a drink to walk up to the shops.

Cannabis, particularly its newest incarnation (greenhouse grown) is debilitating poison for a great deal of its users. The absolute dependency on it compared to the soap bar oubiquitious prior to 10 years ago is like night and day.

I'd decriminalise personal possession but it is a nasty, ambition sapping substance in its most common form in Ireland.

I now await the post from the lad who earns 120k a year and has been smoking 5 times a day since he was 12, as have all his similar high flying friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cannabis, particularly its newest incarnation (greenhouse grown) is debilitating poison for a great deal of its users. The absolute dependency on it compared to the soap bar oubiquitious prior to 10 years ago is like night and day.

I'd decriminalise personal possession but it is a nasty, ambition sapping substance in its most common form in Ireland.

I now await the post from the lad who earns 120k a year and has been smoking 5 times a day since he was 12, as have all his similar high flying friends.

I used to work shifts and when we went to the early house after work they were more people going to work than finished in them. People can be functioning stoners as people are functioning alcoholics,and like alcohol the vast majority just want a bit after work.

We currently have a push to regulate escooters and people living on the water. Both are getting traction to be regulated but a that is relatively harmless is completely ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Aren't the UN or WHO doing something around the 12th of this month I remember reading a while back. It should be legal shortly from what I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

What the hell are you basing this tripe on

• Advertisement

gypsy79 wrote: »
    What the hell are you basing this tripe on

The bulk of smokers I have known down the years vs alcos.

Tell me this- why is it more socially acceptable to spend the whole day stoned than drunk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

The bulk of smokers I have known down the years vs alcos.

Tell me this- why is it more socially acceptable to spend the whole day stoned than drunk?

So basically anecdotal unscientific research. Thanks for that clarity

I have had to start smoking weed in later life and ut has oly benefits to me

And yes I earn 6 figures

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I was wrong, it was yesterday not the 12th

UN commission reclassifies cannabis, no longer considered risky narcotic

https://news.un.org/en/story/2020/12/1079132

https://twitter.com/NewstalkFM/status/1334909239161200642?s=20

This deserves it's own thread as it's big news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

So basically anecdotal unscientific research.

According to research something like 3 percent of Irish people aged under 40 have used cocaine in their lifetime.

I think research in this field suffers from the honesty of the study participants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Im melting away

That's because it's illegal, if it was even tolerated at least you'd have quality control, regulated THC content, light weed if you want it at a reasonable price, high strength weed if that's what you want like a alcohol drink, while taking a nice chuck of change out of criminals pockets and into the states coffers.

It's a no brainer at this stage, but our backwards legislators are in the back pockets of the alcohol industry here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭Ireland2020

In general if your caught smoking a joint a guard will just tell you to put it out n take of off you.

They don't care in general

• Registered Users Posts: 19,265 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

The smell of the stuff is absolutely rank and you can generally tell that you are in a dodgy area or kip by a wafting smell of weed in the air.

If the stuff was legalised you wouldn't be able to walk 5 metres without being suffocated by the smells, regardless of laws about acceptable places of consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Where can you buy a joint?
    Not that I'm interested, just asking ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It should definitely be decriminalised.

But the concept that it is harmless is garbage, I am speaking from experience. Smoked lots in my life and there are negative psychological side effects for sure. I don't smoke anymore and don't miss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Im melting away

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It should definitely be decriminalised.

But the concept that it is harmless is garbage, I am speaking from experience. Smoked lots in my life and there are negative psychological side effects for sure. I don't smoke anymore and don't miss it.

IMO it isn't harmless but isn't as harmful as some people make out either, as with anything there's certain risks to everything.

Alot more harm from weed derives from the fact it's illegal and bred for strength.

Of course theres negative psychological side effects in certain people because they're using a substance that has no quality control, or are abusing strong "stick you to the couch" weed alot, but weed has been a drug people will admit to abusing and are less likely to say they're poly-drug abusing.

The grass people are smoking these days is nuts.

I couldn't be up to it, I have things to be doing.

But I think it is like the booze, it suits some more than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

So basically anecdotal unscientific research. Thanks for that clarity

I have had to start smoking weed in later life and ut has oly benefits to me

And yes I earn 6 figures

Can this post be used for scientific research? Sorry for being a grammar nazi.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

I'm not a huge fan of weed, mostly because I have no tolerance for it, I'm quite fond of a beer or two after work to unwind and relax. My partner isn't a big drinker at all and she'll have a joint after work to relax. I've never met any lazy stoners, I've met plenty of lazy drinkers though.

I really don't see why it's still illegal, if it's legalised it can be grown, processed and sold safely. I mean the worst I've seen happening is someone getting the munchies as opposed to someone getting locked and starting fights.

• Advertisement

Coybig_ wrote: »
    The smell of the stuff is absolutely rank and you can generally tell that you are in a dodgy area or kip by a wafting smell of weed in the air.

If the stuff was legalised you wouldn't be able to walk 5 metres without being suffocated by the smells, regardless of laws about acceptable places of consumption.

I actually quite like the smell. It is the mental bender that ensues after a few puffs that is the problem for me.

It is great for keeping midgies away, it repulses them. So is garlic though and seemingly it works well with Vampires, or so I read in a book once.

I dare you to smoke a reefer and try to read a Tom Clancy novel, trust me you won't know yourself, different gravy and you won't think of watching the Telly for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Cannabis isn't exactly harmless, so users really need to stop trying to convince us that it is, yes we know alcohol is dangerous but so to is cannabis, I'd still go for legalisation though, and maybe for all drugs to

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

One thing people forget about cannabis they turn people into cigarettes smokers, if you aren't a smoker and you smoke a joint you are likely to smoke a plain cigarette and you become nicotine addict.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭circadian

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    One thing people forget about cannabis they turn people into cigarettes smokers, if you aren't a smoker and you smoke a joint you are likely to smoke a plain cigarette and you become nicotine addict.

There are many ways to consume cannabis without smoking tobacco, even just smoking blunts. Legalisation will allow for other cannabis products to be easily produced and sold rather than hoping some dealer hasn't added crushed glass or similar to increase the weight.

The war on drugs is a total failure. It has done little more than increase the cost and reduce the quality of illegal drugs. The demand has always been there and the knock on effect is because of prohibition and unregulated production is higher chance of addiction to drugs due to varying dosages, unknown additives and the fact that it puts people off seeking help.

Decriminalisation is the first step, punishing users and addicts does nothing to tackle the real problem.

Cannabis legalisation would be very welcome.

In the states there is no faffing around with tobacco. They smoke it straight and it gets you a lot higher - until the paranoia kicks in.

You can get patches for nicotine addiction now.

I still reckon 1 or 2 fags a day is completely harmless. I mean that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I know several people who only use tobacco in joints, they never smoke tobacco without weed. As has already been mentioned you don't need to use tobacco anymore. Vaporizers are a great alternative to using tobacco. You'll use even less than you would with tobacco, and you get a better high.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I know several people who only use tobacco in joints, they never smoke tobacco without weed. As has already been mentioned you don't need to use tobacco anymore. Vaporizers are a great alternative to using tobacco. You'll use even less than you would with tobacco, and you get a better high.

I've recently stopped smoking tobacco and use a nicotine vape instead.
    Now I need to invest in a cannabis vaporiser too!

Any recommendations? They can be a bit pricey compared to nicotine vapes (mine was €45)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

TomTomTim wrote: »

Pure THC distillate available in a syringe now

You can eat it if you want

Bout 40 euro for 1000mg THC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I've recently stopped smoking tobacco and use a nicotine vape instead.
    Now I need to invest in a cannabis vaporiser too!

Any recommendations? They can be a bit pricey compared to nicotine vapes (mine was €45)

True, but I assume they last longer. I use nicotine vapes too and most of the parts eventually brake after a few months of use in my experience.

I recently bought a Da Buddha desktop vaporizer for 150. It's great so far. If that's too much then the Arizer Solo is a great handheld vaporizer, you should be able to get one for around 100 now.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Capsules are pretty good too

€5 for 50mg, 100mg is a good high

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement