Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCT advice

Options
  • 04-12-2020 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I always bought new cars before so I have no clue how NCT work,

I just bought a second car for my wife with ZuCar, but the NCT was missing,

I thought as I just bought it I probably had a few day allowances to complete the NCT but I realised I was Wong and that just illegal.

I booked an NCT yesterday after collecting the car but there is nothing available before the 22!

I'm wondering is my wife be alright driving the car, and I'm not sure why I asking because I'm pretty sure of the answer already :

no, she can't / that depend on the Garda / have a proof of the booking but still depend of the Garda

I know she can change it and proof that she booked an appointment but it doesn't make the car ok to drive or safe and it will be to easy for fraudster...

and on top of that, the car has no tax, which I can't even do because one I will receive the tax book by post as expected but also I suppose I can't do it without NCT....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Welcome to the real world.

You can pay car tax with no NCT, you don’t think the government are going to refuse money do you?
    You can drive once you have a booking and proof of.
    You can insure the car as well. Just tell the insurance company it’s booked for NCT and they will want confirmation of pass afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kevincork

Welcome to the real world.

You can pay car tax with no NCT, you don’t think the government are going to refuse money do you?
    You can drive once you have a booking and proof of.
    You can insure the car as well. Just tell the insurance company it’s booked for NCT and they will want confirmation of pass afterwards.

Thank you, yes I managed to have the insurance I literally spend 1h on the phone yesterday because they wanted the " Vehicle Licensing Certificate" before allow us to drive.... which I explain them that obviously I won't get it until a few days.... anyway that shorted.

For the tax I need the PIN which is on the tax book right? so I have to wait right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Probably, just keep the receipt of sale in the car and that should suffice if stopped, Some people put a note in the window if they are parking on street because the traffic wardens check tax as well

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭yogmeister

What year is the car. Are you sure its due an nct?
    If it is I would ask zu car to do it as dealers can get it done faster. I would of expected a big operation like them to have it done pre sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭RINO87

yogmeister wrote: »
    What year is the car. Are you sure its due an nct?
    If it is I would ask zu car to do it as dealers can get it done faster. I would of expected a big operation like them to have it done pre sale.

I agree, go straight back to Zu Car - they shouldn't have sold it without NCT unless you got it super cheap, knowing that it had no NCT on it.

A car being sold without NCT should basically sell for scrap value - It's not legally fit for purpose. Don't for a second believe anyone saying "will fly through the test"

Zu Car are a large operation and part of a very reputable motoring group, they should sort it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭con747

They state all cars come with minimum 6 months NCT.
    https://www.zucar.ie/faq/
    About our cars

Is car XYZ still available?
    Have your cars been checked?
    Does it have a Full Service History?
    Does it have an NCT?
    Yes. All our ZuCars have at least six months NCT. If they have less than six months at the purchase date, we will give it a full 12 months prior to delivery.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭.red.

con747 wrote: »

It might have been sold as trade?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kevincork

con747 wrote: »
    About our cars

Is car XYZ still available?
    Have your cars been checked?
    Does it have a Full Service History?
    Does it have an NCT?
    Yes. All our ZuCars have at least six months NCT. If they have less than six months at the purchase date, we will give it a full 12 months prior to delivery.

I sent them an email they replied :

if you have the proof of the booking on your phone the guards wont say anything to you as it is out of your control , so there’s no issue with driving your car in the interim ,

All our cars have a minimum of 6 months NCT when they are initially brought into our stock , if a car isn’t sold within those 6 months we don’t renew the NCT as I am sure you can understand it would be hard to do with over 250 cars in our stock , but we do adhere to the promise that we will cover the cost of the NCT and any issues that may arise during its testing to each new owner ,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,205 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

When I went to book online I'd to wait an age (2 months). Gave them a direct call and got booked in that evening, so if you are worried about it, try that and you may get sorted sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭con747

kevincork wrote: »
    I sent them an email they replied :

if you have the proof of the booking on your phone the guards wont say anything to you as it is out of your control , so there’s no issue with driving your car in the interim ,

All our cars have a minimum of 6 months NCT when they are initially brought into our stock , if a car isn’t sold within those 6 months we don’t renew the NCT as I am sure you can understand it would be hard to do with over 250 cars in our stock , but we do adhere to the promise that we will cover the cost of the NCT and any issues that may arise during its testing to each new owner ,

Why state this in the f.a.q's then. "If they have less than six months at the purchase date, we will give it a full 12 months prior to delivery". To me that means they will ensure the car has at least 6 months NCT when the purchase is completed so I would expect them to honour that and not leave it up to the new owner. That's just me though.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement