Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make and model recommendations for alarms: CO / Smoke / Heat.

Options
  • 04-12-2020 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Two years ago I bought 3 CO, 2 smoke and 1 heat alarm.
    The brand is FireAngel.
    I bought this make as it had good reviews and you can link them (ie when one sounds, the all sound).

Alas, they’ve been a nightmare. They go off at any time of day or night. Any time of year. Even in the middle of a summers day when there is no cooker/boiler/stove running, they go off.

I’m in the middle of email tennis with the makers about their guarantee, but at this stage I just don’t care.

I am going to replace them with reliable makes.
    Suggestions please...
    Ta.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

MOD NOTE. This will most likely be better in the electrical forum. I'll move it there.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

EI /AICO

Obviously check for CO if they're going off , you ever know

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I use Kidde alarms, bought from Amazon. One thing people might overlook is that most of them have a fixed life from the date of manufacture so you need to buy them from a source that has a good turnover.

I have all standlone smoke and/or CO units, run by PP3 or sealed 10 year batteries. Had a minor problem with one of the smoke units a few years ago, it was going off intermittently with a false alarm when there was no fire burning or any kind of cooking going on. Got good support via e-mail from the UK. They said it might have been caused by household dust so I gave it a good going over with the hoover but it didn't fix the problem so they sent me a free replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Terminals weren't that great on the Kidde mains alarms maybe they've improved

You had to be very careful connecting to them, overall build quality not as good as EI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Definitely Ei Electronics (badged as Aico in the north and Britain). Made in Ireland too. (Shannon, Co. Clare.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement