Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You should never meet your heroes as you will only be disappointed?

Options
  • 03-12-2020 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

In one of his rare moments of wisdom, Fr Dougal once opined (after Henry Sellers jumped out the window) that you should never meet your heroes as you will only be disappointed. I am inclined to agree with this saying as I think it is probably very easy to fall into the trap of having an unrealistic expectation of what your 'hero' will be like in real life, thus leading to disappointment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Heroes are people too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

I'll let you know how I get on if I ever meet my hero Mr. Fegelien...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,675 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think that’s a pessimist view tbh. It’s predicated upon the idea that you haven’t met your heroes yet. I wouldn’t refer to them as heroes, but I’ve met a few people I admire, and I’ve been even more impressed by who they are as a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

In one of his rare moments of wisdom, Fr Dougal once opined (after Henry Sellers jumped out the window) that you should never meet your heroes as you will only be disappointed. I am inclined to agree with this saying as I think it is probably very easy to fall into the trap of having an unrealistic expectation of what your 'hero' will be like in real life, thus leading to disappointment.

Leave me out of this.

I met a nurse once and she gave me the clap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

If I ever met someone that I admired I would treat them the same as anyone else I meet. I wouldn't ask for a photo or an autograph thats not my thing. & if their ego didn't like the approach of me not fawning over them, then they wouldn't be someone I'd admire anymore. I like my hero's to be humble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Blondini wrote: »
    I'll let you know how I get on if I ever meet my hero Mr. Fegelien...

Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 The Northern Lights

Well that was unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,370 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

"I made the BBC"...

Glazers Out!

I met three people who I very much admired at a conference and they were absolute gentlemen. Humble and no issues with approaching them after their talks.

And yes, I without an ounce of shame got my photo taken with them

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I met three people who I very much admired at a conference and they were absolute gentlemen. Humble and no issues with approaching them after their talks.

And yes, I without an ounce of shame got my photo taken with them

I would never ask for a photo or autograph, the very thought makes me cringe

I would never ask for a photo or autograph, the very thought makes me cringe

That's your choice.

In general I'm not a big photograph person but there's some events I want to remember. These guys I grew up idolising as the goliaths of the industry and I'm glad I asked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Not quite my hero but I met Keith Earls the night he made he debut for Ireland(Rugby) back in 2008. The wife made me get my pic taken with him.

It must have gone down as the one of the worst photos of all time. You could tell both of us didn’t want to be in the pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

It depends. If you admire their skill in what you are interested in....then it can be rewarding.

Meeting a great surgeon ...etc

If you think you are going to like them as a person..it might not be a great idea.

On the other hand there are people who are the antithesis of my values ..and i dont think i would like them as people. Jordan Peterson and Anne Coulter for example...its not just their values ..i don't like their personalities i have realized.

But just because you admire someone's skill doesn't mean you will click as people.

I don't have a very likeable personality myself. I am not very agreeable.
    I don't click on a deep level with many people anyhow. I am very polite though I value manners deeply in people. I can make most social situations go smoothly. So that helps. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Easy to avoid by not having a hero. There's no one I consider a hero if I think about it. Plenty of people to be congratulated for doing their job really well, the odd person may save someone, fair play. But hero... I suppose I still cling to the childhood thought of a hero being far and above everyone else in every positive way, an impossible goal but is exactly what separates heroes from everyone else.

But I do agree that most people who others consider heroes are most likely not the same as their own idea of what the person would be like, and disappointment would follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

When I worked in the duty free in Dublin airport... way back, 20 years ago... a regular traveler and customer was Ronnie Wood, living here at the time, still think he does... a delightful cheery little dude.. he’d spin through, pick up a couple of hundred fags and into Bewleys for a fry, more often alone or with his manager... always time for people... nice fella.... he always recognized me and I think sensed I was a fan from being initially star struck but a decent lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Not as good as a standing ovation but good feedback is always welcome.

It
    I don't have a very likeable personality myself. I am not very agreeable.

Get outta here. Color me shocked!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I don't have a hero but people i would be big fans of that i have met. All pretty cool with the exception of a couple.

Jeremy Clarkson i met in a hotel in London two years ago was sound. Just chatted about cars for a couple of minutes and he took the piss a bit. Just like he comes across on tele.

Sister Bliss was another one who was fcuking spot on and better looking and more feminine looking than what she does in some of the faithless videos.

Ronnie O'Sullivan was a bit of a grumpy fcuk on more than one occasion i met him

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Ronnie O'Sullivan was a bit of a grumpy fcuk on more than one occasion i met him

In fairness he has said he has battled anxiety and depression so it's probably hard to put on a happy face and dance for every member of the public that catches him in real life.

My sister didn't know who Ronnie was and was giving him a sports massage ahead of an exhibition match against Ken Doherty in the Red Cow Inn many many years ago. They were making conversation and he said he needed work on his neck before a snooker match. She said "Oh, who are you going to see?" :)
    When he said he was going to be playing Ken Doherty, she recognized Kens name and thought he must be good. He offered her VIP tickets, but she declined.
    Then she rang me 20 mins later after he left, asking if I heard of "Ronnie O'Sullivan".... I cursed her.

"Hero" is a bad term, there's real people who have done great things, nobody is perfect.
    I'd love to have a couple of pints with Robbie Coltrane, Gabriel Byrne or even Dick Strawbridge (was on Scrapheap Challenge and Escape to the Chateau).
    People who seem down to earth, from humble roots.

Again, hard to hold anyone up to a higher standard than ourselves.
    That's why the idea of witch hunting politicians who break the rules we all do, seems two-faced.
    I shouldn't lose my job for minor discretions outside of my job description.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

"Sports massage"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Met Shane McGowan once. Fine output as a songwriter, I'll always admire that - but a joyless shell of a man to meet in the flesh.
    I like Steve Earle's music too but he is another tosser.

Sky King wrote: »
    "Sports massage"

Yep. She's a qualified physio, it was in a proper clinic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd love to have a couple of pints with Robbie Coltrane,
    Hopefully you get him on a very good day...
    Jeremy Clarkson i met in a hotel in London two years ago was sound. Just chatted about cars for a couple of minutes and he took the piss a bit. Just like he comes across on tele.
    I met him myself many moons ago now, before the new top gear took off. I found him sound too. Actually my biggest impression of him was that he was quite bashful and thoughtful funny enough. That was then of course, maybe the persona took over more since?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I met another person i always liked on tele about 15 years ago that turned intimate later on that night in town............She's still on tele actually, lunchtimes and evenings. Not all the time though :P

Wibbs wrote: »

I haven't heard anything about his disposition to fans but would totally understand any public figure who gets wary of having to entertain fans, selfies etc when you just go out shopping, for a meal with family etc.

I'm thinking of idealized nights where it was arranged/not an intrusion.

Wibbs wrote: »

I met him myself many moons ago now, before the new top gear took off. I found him sound too. Actually my biggest impression of him was that he was quite bashful and thoughtful funny enough. That was then of course, maybe the persona took over more since?

Very intelligent guy. You could tell he knows everything about cars, and i mean everything.

Telling me had visited all bar a few countries in the world too with "work" and leisure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Nowadays don't even need to meet them, you can just follow their Twitter, instead of just being rude or unpleasant you can see them posting anti-vax shîte or a picture of them in a maga hat

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I've met a few of the people I've admired and looked up to based on their achievements and the majority were nice, pleasant people. One or two were a bit moody at the time an one said something that made him out to seem like a bit of an ass.

• Advertisement
Advertisement