Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to fit shelving to a steel corrugated shed?

Options
  • 03-12-2020 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have one of the above and I need to fit shelving/hang up tools, to clear space off my workbench. Can anyone tell me what's the best way to do it, so that,if I drill thru the wall to use either bolts , screws or rivets, I can seal them to prevent moisture from getting in.
    regards
    Stovepipe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You could use a number of tech screws from outside with the rubber washer for corrugated sheets and plastic cap.
    You could screw these through the sheet into timber battens and then build storage from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I'd just put a sheet of 8x4 plywood up against the wall and if there was nothing to bolt it to then if the walls were high enough I'd brace it at the top to a sheet of plywood against the opposite wall. Effectively I'd be lining the wall.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Stove are there uprights holding the corrugated?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

It has a limited amount of angle framing, mainly to act as a crossbar to brace the roof. It's a Steeltech 12 x 15 ft type. No vertical supports on the walls.

Stove , I've got a Steeltech 12x12 and there's uprights for the corrugated. I've put 4x1 batons, with Tech screws, for hooks and shelves.

• Advertisement

tex screws appear to be the way togo. I'lldo that.

If the weather eases up I'll try and get a pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

What size is the holder for tec screws

Is it 1/4 inch?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Pasteur. wrote: »
    What size is the holder for tec screws

Is it 1/4 inch?

Tec screws drill their own hole. That's one of their major selling points.

Warning: If the body of the screws will be accessible from the outside of the shed once they have been installed, make sure to cover them off somehow if there is a risk of people coming in to contact with them.
    They could be hard to notice and could easily open the inside of a hand or a wrist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Warning: If the body of the screws will be accessible from the outside of the shed once they have been installed, make sure to cover them off somehow if there is a risk of people coming in to contact with them.
    They could be hard to notice and could easily open the inside of a hand or a wrist.

The screw holder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I just assumed that the screws were going in from the outside to hold wood on the inside. Metal to wood tec screws?

Edit> So to expand on that screw a couple of 2 by 3's (or whatever seems suitable) up the wall where needed and screw with suitably length short tec screws from the outside, voila something to screw shelf brackets on to, but might need a bit of bracing depending on the strength of the shed walls.

Example of the screws 6.3 x 60mm Corrugated Timber Roofing CLADDING Screws 16mm Rubber Washer

Wake me up when it's all over.

Pasteur. wrote: »
    The screw holder?

Think they are mostly metric and 8mm. Someone else might be sure.
    When buying screws, shop can confirm for you.

I just assumed that the screws were going in from the outside to hold wood on the inside. Metal to wood tec screws?

I'm just being overly cautious as they can do quite the damage if left exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

I am starting something similar here. Ordered sheets of 18mm OSB board yesterday to line the inside walls. Going to Tec screw them to the box steel frame from the inside. I'm going to sit them on top of a treated 2x1 on edge to keep them off the floor in case of any water ingress or spillage.
    We built the shed ourselves but is a similar idea to a steel tech shed I reckon. 40mm box steel frame and cladding on the outside.

Have you any photos of the inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,769 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I am starting something similar here. Ordered sheets of 18mm OSB board yesterday to line the inside walls. Going to Tec screw them to the box steel frame from the inside. I'm going to sit them on top of a treated 2x1 on edge to keep them off the floor in case of any water ingress or spillage.
    We built the shed ourselves but is a similar idea to a steel tech shed I reckon. 40mm box steel frame and cladding on the outside.

Have you any photos of the inside?

This is the best option and allows you to expand in future. Screwing in from the outside is not a good job and means of there's changes in future you've to do more of the same

Line the walls as you are doing.

Got tex screws yesterday and they worked a treat. My shed has an angle steelframe at mid height and I put up a piece of 3/4 inch plywood, to which I will add tool holders. thanks for the tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just out of interest, the Admann Sheds have a very handy gutter/recess/channel all round each 6' section so you can slot in 3x2 upright timbers then screw on cross timbers (the ends of which slot into the side channels, and the middle passes over the centre support strut), and when the whole thing is screwed together it is solid without attaching to the shed at all.

• Site Banned Posts: 27 Drewgerger

Don't drill through walls
    Use self tapping screws
    Screw to frame
    Or use free standing shelves

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

Advertisement