Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gay marriage and future

Options
  • 03-12-2020 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Im getting married next year, just wondering if gay people who also got married recently can tell me if or how their life changed since they got married. How does society in general treat you once they find out you’re gay and married, etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

I dont think theres gonna be a lot of people who accept gays but not gay marriage. Don't sweat it. Its probably harder to stay in the closet when you have a ring on though.

Besides, screw the rest of them. Marriage is for you and your man, what someone else thinks of it doenst mean anything. Like anything else, if you pussyfoot and tiptoe around something people will find it much easier to pick an issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I’ve been married 3 years now and other than being able to say ‘my wife’ not a huge amount has changed. We were together 13 years before we married though, and out to everyone in our lives.

Having said that, I had a serious health issue last year that meant emergency surgery etc. Knowing that my wife was legally my next of kin for contact, and all that entailed was a MASSIVE weight off both our minds. It meant that she could come and visit without pretending to be sisters etc.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Got married last year and, for the large part, nothing changed and people treated us the same afterwards (we've been together 15 years) but one small thing I really liked is being able to get "Happy Birthday Husband" and "Happy Christmas Husband" cards. It might not seem like much but it's actually little touches like that that can stand out at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I thought at first that it would just be putting a formal/state seal of approval to an existing relationship and it has given very real and tangible benefits - as well as other ones. It gives the security that married couples enjoy under the law - from inheritance to tax (very real issues at times) to right of access in illness etc. It's also just nice to be able to say husband instead of partner and also to see that most people don't seem to blink an eyelid.
    Family, friends and neighbours are at times the last to see that things have changed in some ways, but that's just because they were aware of and accepting of the relationship before any legal changes. I did get a quiet laugh when a while ago my husband proudly took out his new Free Travel Pass (we are that old) to show to a neighbour - and she asked why there was a large S on it as well as the usual info (it's for Spouse - so I can go too if/when we ever get to use it). Quick as a flash her strapping 20 something farmer son said "sure they're married now Mom".... am not sure what you'd call the exact shade of red she turned but it was pretty bright.

Advertisement