Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you keep the instructions?

Options
  • 03-12-2020 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭

Not intended as a deeply though out question but I was just about to dump the instruction manual that came with a new DeWalt Impact Driver in the recycling and wondered how many other thousands of similar sets get dumped every year?

In this particular case the instructions only state the obvious and nothing I can't find again if necessary online but worst of all state the obvious in TEN other languages I don't need. The only thing that might have encouraged me to hang on to this manual would have been a parts diagram with a full parts listing and even then I'd have cut that out and dumped the bit with 10 other languages.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

Not intended as a deeply though out question but I was just about to dump the instruction manual that came with a new DeWalt Impact Driver in the recycling and wondered how many other thousands of similar sets get dumped every year?

In this particular case the instructions only state the obvious and nothing I can't find again if necessary online but worst of all state the obvious in TEN other languages I don't need. The only thing that might have encouraged me to hang on to this manual would have been a parts diagram with a full parts listing and even then I'd have cut that out and dumped the bit with 10 other languages.

Agree in most cases, a paper copy is a waste of paper but it covers the manufacturer from a legal perspective when somebody drills through their own face and launches a complaint against them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

JMR wrote: »
    Agree in most cases, a paper copy is a waste of paper but it covers the manufacturer from a legal perspective when somebody drills through their own face and launches a complaint against them!

I did say it wasn't a deeply thought out question. I have to admit to being the author of some sets of instructions myself and at the time my boss's main comment about them was we had to do it to cover our backsides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

I used to. Though these I find that looking for even the most basic stuff eg. How do I change the battery, you have to wade through 3 or 4 pages of inane H&S warnings:

- Don't operate this under the influence of alcohol
    - Don't let children operate this
    - Blah de blah

Now they generally go in the recycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

Create a 'Manuals' folder either on your phone, computer or Google Drive etc. When you purchase something (or if you're about to throw out the paper copy of a manual), Google for the English manual PDF and drop it in there.

Not only does this save on having to physically store the papers you also get the benefit of search-able documents.

It's much better to gather the manuals now than look for them online in X years when of course you'll never be able to find them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

:o Must admit, I'm a bit compulsive when it comes to manuals.

New microwave arrived today. Sat here and read through the safety instructions. Ye know; Stuff like Do Not Attempt To Dry Ammunition In It. Not Suitable For Tortoises. That kind of thing.

It's a Toshiba, as it happens. Manual's only in english. But, yeah, I'm sure I'll master cooking my frozen chips in it, tonight. Won't need the manual after that. But, I'll keep it.

Along with the growing stack of the bloody things I have in my work room :(

• Advertisement

I have a manuals folder, also have a second one for "Boards.ie" which contains the manuals I've downloaded to look up answers for people that can't use Google :D

Stigura wrote: »
    :o Must admit, I'm a bit compulsive when it comes to manuals.

New microwave arrived today. Sat here and read through the safety instructions. Ye know; Stuff like Do Not Attempt To Dry Ammunition In It. Not Suitable For Tortoises. That kind of thing.

It's a Toshiba, as it happens. Manual's only in english. But, yeah, I'm sure I'll master cooking my frozen chips in it, tonight. Won't need the manual after that. But, I'll keep it.

Along with the growing stack of the bloody things I have in my work room :(

You need a sort out occasionally I bet you still have manuals for stuff that you no longer have.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't think I've ever opened a Manual. :O

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

I Do have the odd sort out, to be honest ;)

Main thing ~ I find ~ with a paper manual is that I can stare at the schematic. Put my finger in there. Then, 'Refer to page five' and put another finger in there.

Now, I can flick back and forth, comparing till it sinks in. I Loathe trying to scroll back and forth between about a yard of pdf. Time I get there, I've forgotten what I was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I scan them to Dropbox. Only takes a few seconds. If you own a multi-page scanner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

I have a confession- I always read the operating instructions or manuals that come with anything I buy! I dump the foreign language booklet (if separate) and when I'm done with the instructions I put them in the original packing box, with the purchase receipt and throw it in the attic. On ocassion Ive had to retrieve these to return a faulty item within warranty period. I do go through these random boxes from time to time to weed them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭3d4life

Yes I do. Also attach receipt to same. I also tend to keep the box that the thing came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Same. Always keep the manual, with the receipt stapled to the front cover. They're all stored in a box out in the garage. Can't remember the last time I actually opened one because I look things up online first if I've a problem at some later stage, but I think it's good to have them anyway.

Can also help if you're ever trying to sell anything on, after you get a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I did say it wasn't a deeply thought out question. I have to admit to being the author of some sets of instructions myself and at the time my boss's main comment about them was we had to do it to cover our backsides.

Is this one of yours Continental?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I keep them, if it's a thing that lives in its own container, the manual usually lives there. Otherwise it's the bottom drawer in the kitchen.
    Yes I read them well before starting, yes I occasionally refer back. Yes the receipts get stapled in too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

We keep them. It worked for me when a brand new Black and Decker failed after 2 weeks on it's second only job. Back to Woodies, box and all. Straight swap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

My boss years ago told me "never read a manual"

It stuck with me but it wasn't great advice

It's best to flick through them and keep them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

its a good idea to take pics of receipts too, they are mostly thermal printers and they fade

Pasteur. wrote: »
    My boss years ago told me "never read a manual"

It stuck with me but it wasn't great advice

It's best to flick through them and keep them

He just didn't want to give you an excuse for not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    its a good idea to take pics of receipts too, they are mostly thermal printers and they fade
    You can read the faded info with a strong torch behind the paper. Easier to just take a pic alright.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement