Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media have No HD Boxes

Options
  • 03-12-2020 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

So I bought my mother a new TV for her bedroom. But she has Virgin Media and the existing box in her room only has scart. I don't think they make TVs with scart anymore?

So we call Virgin Media to get a new box with hdmi. The answer:-

Virgin Media have no HD boxes in stock and won't have until 2021. Best of all, we can't order a box and should call back in the new year.
    I asked if they would at least supply a scart -> hdmi cable but their representative thought this was impossible. Of course there are such cables and convertors.

How can a cable tv company have no cable tv boxes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Not to defend VM but there are massive shortages in tech stock all around due the global pandemic. I saw a retail boss complaining only yesterday that they have a backlog of traffic at the ports so can't get stuff off the boats.

In saying that, I'm sure they have some for new customers. Is she outside the contract term? A chat with retention may be more fruitful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭d161

theteal wrote: »
    Not to defend VM but there are massive shortages in tech stock all around due the global pandemic. I saw a retail boss complaining only yesterday that they have a backlog of traffic at the ports so can't get stuff off the boats.

In saying that, I'm sure they have some for new customers. Is she outside the contract term? A chat with retention may be more fruitful.

That's exactly what I thought. She is an existing customer so any stock will go to new customers. So, they could string her out for months on this. They look at her profile and and believe she won't move.

I think she has an old satellite dish on the wall outside her bedroom so I may run a cable to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Macker

I have one they never took back when I canceled

• Advertisement

Macker wrote: »
    I have one they never took back when I canceled

Hi Macker, just sent you a pm.

Would it be as simple as just swapping out the co-axial cable that runs from the existing Virgin junction box?

I guess her subscription upstairs is SD only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

The boxes are coded to the account but you might get lucky.

The scart convertor upscales the picture it would work. If you are in dublin an antenna in attic an drop a cable down to the TV would probably work giving you the Irish channels. We do it up stairs. A sat dish could easily be installed and run from the attic into the room to.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I am surprised that they would have no boxes with HDMI. Practically all their kit (Virgin 360, Horizon, and UPC Mediabox HD) in the past decade all have HDMI capability. Do they even supply scart only kit any more?

If what you are saying is correct - maybe call back VM to confirm - that means they can do no new customer TV installs until 2021, which is a bad shape for any company to be in ahead of Christmas - particularly one who has just launched a massive marketing campaign for their new STB (Virgin 360).

Threatening to cancel and tell them you are moving to Sky on the basis that you can’t receive any TV at the moment might possibly expedite the situation.

icdg wrote: »
    I am surprised that they would have no boxes with HDMI. Practically all their kit (Virgin 360, Horizon, and UPC Mediabox HD) in the past decade all have HDMI capability. Do they even supply scart only kit any more?

If what you are saying is correct - maybe call back VM to confirm - that means they can do no new customer TV installs until 2021, which is a bad shape for any company to be in ahead of Christmas - particularly one who has just launched a massive marketing campaign for their new STB (Virgin 360).

Threatening to cancel and tell them you are moving to Sky on the basis that you can’t receive any TV at the moment might possibly expedite the situation.

I told the VM rep that this was equivalent to a dairy running out of milk. I also asked her if my only option was to move to Sky.
    I suspect the earlier poster is correct in that kit is being saved for new customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

What VM box only has scart?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭Delta2113

JDxtra wrote: »
    What VM box only has scart?

The old DVR's and old non recordable boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

d161 wrote: »
    I told the VM rep that this was equivalent to a dairy running out of milk. I also asked her if my only option was to move to Sky.
    I suspect the earlier poster is correct in that kit is being saved for new customers.

Upgrade to the new 360 with multiroom. You're trying to replace kit that's ancient and out of stock during a pandemic where the refurbishment places wouldn't have been running at full capacity. They aren't even taking returns of the old kit any more according to some threads here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Upgrade to the new 360 with multiroom. You're trying to replace kit that's ancient and out of stock during a pandemic where the refurbishment places wouldn't have been running at full capacity. They aren't even taking returns of the old kit any more according to some threads here.

Exactly this.

Lots of shortages of all sorts of things.

They didn't give me any upgrade options.

...time to go through the cancellation process. Explain current box cannot connect to new TV. Let them suggest an upgraded box - but don't be at a loss, make sure the offer is worth your while.

Also worth noting that if your mother has a tablet, she can use the Virgin TV Anywhere app as a stop gap measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

They didn't give me any upgrade options.

You didn't ask. Most VM agents are simpletons reading from a script. Start the process again.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hi Macker, just sent you a pm.

Would it be as simple as just swapping out the co-axial cable that runs from the existing Virgin junction box?

I guess her subscription upstairs is SD only.

They won’t do that as their provisioning system won’t allow for a box from another account being used on another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭Delta2113

It will actually Colm - boxes and cards.

Best get the box from VM directly.

• Advertisement

As a few suggested a threat to leave VM has resolved the situation. They will supply a HD box although it doesn't have recording functionality. This they will supply after Christmas.

So, there does seem to be equipment shortages and they are prioritising new customers.

Advertisement