Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router/Switch problems

Options
  • 03-12-2020 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All, I would be extremely grateful for advice/comments etc. on a problem I have with trying to get Broadband working over a switch. Basically I cant get the
    connection to work: I get "unrecognized network" or the Router is not "visible"
    to laptops connected to the switch- though two IP cameras work fine. I have tried three different switches TPLink TL-SF1008P x 2 (8 port) and a Netgear GS105 (5 port), all new. I have tested the cables and swopped them, also did the same with different laptops and the result is always the same. The IP cameras work fine with all the switches. I've tried auto/manually assigning IP address's with no luck. When I assign the Router IP address I can ping it but cant get a connection. Is it possible there's some kind of compatibility issue with the Eir Router- its an
    Eir/Sagecom FibreBox. Any help greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

GTSYAM wrote: »
    Hi All, I would be extremely grateful for advice/comments etc. on a problem I have with trying to get Broadband working over a switch. Basically I cant get the
    connection to work: I get "unrecognized network" or the Router is not "visible"
    to laptops connected to the switch- though two IP cameras work fine. I have tried three different switches TPLink TL-SF1008P x 2 (8 port) and a Netgear GS105 (5 port), all new. I have tested the cables and swopped them, also did the same with different laptops and the result is always the same. The IP cameras work fine with all the switches. I've tried auto/manually assigning IP address's with no luck. When I assign the Router IP address I can ping it but cant get a connection. Is it possible there's some kind of compatibility issue with the Eir Router- its an
    Eir/Sagecom FibreBox. Any help greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    John
    You should not assign same IP on laptop as your router (or any other device on network) has. It should be in same range with corresponding other metrics.

To me sound like DHCP failure on router - cameras still work as are most likely asigned static IP or retain IP from before DHCP failed. Restart router and see if helps.
    Or set manually on the laptop:
    If router is 192.168.1.1, set your laptop to some odd 192.168.1.135 (manipulate only last octet).
    Set Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0 (no matter what address on router)
    Set Default Gateway to 192.168.1.1 (this should match your router IP)
    Set DNS1 to 192.168.1.1(this should match your router IP), DNS2 - 8.8.8.8

• Registered Users Posts: 7 GTSYAM

Hi there, just a quick note to say thanks for the reply. I'll play around with the settings later this evening.
    Thanks again
    Cheers
    John

Advertisement