Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiles around stove

Options
  • 02-12-2020 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭

I have had a woodburning stove put in the living room, diagonally into a corner. I would like to tile behind it. The walls are solid and do get quite hot in a couple of places (but not too hot to touch).

Couple of questions, I will try and get someone to do it for me but just so I know what to look for -

Will ordinary tiles (probably those small, similar to stone effect tiles) and normal adhesive be ok?

Would the tiling be done onto the existing plaster or would it be better to remove the skim coat?

Thanks!

Comments

I tiled around ours only a few moths ago .
    Asked around the tile shops and they said to go with porcelain tiles.
    And for adhesive just use a flexible adhesive and regular grout.
    The tiles have been too hot too touch most evenings and haven't fallen off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I found it difficult to find the right tiles to put floor to ceiling being my free standing stove but the manufacturers, Stovax, also did a range of tiles and found natural stone ones which were perfect with an rusted oxidized look and no two are the same.
    With regards to the plaster / adhesive I did manage to track down which was made specifically for area like behind stoves where heat is an issue, can remember the brand but I do kno that Evostick / Bostik (the glue company) do products like this for tiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Man Daughter other

@seamai, i went with the white ceramic subway tile from hearth level to about 1400mm stopping at the mantle used the ready mix adhesive just add a drop of water to hasten the dry-hardening. The stove is a 5kw with external air so gets hot. Tiles get hot but reflect heat mostly

Advertisement