Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removable hanging gate post in shed

Options
  • 02-12-2020 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Was putting down a gate in corner of machinery shed rather than build block wall. Idea is to hang it from a post that is removable if ever needed for another purpose in future. Was going to fit it into a bigger pipe that I put down in concrete floor.
    Any idea of best way to drill hole? Good thick concrete floor.
    Will I need a kango or sds drill do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭Grueller

Was putting down a gate in corner of machinery shed rather than build block wall. Idea is to hang it from a post that is removable if ever needed for another purpose in future. Was going to fit it into a bigger pipe that I put down in concrete floor.
    Any idea of best way to drill hole? Good thick concrete floor.
    Will I need a kango or sds drill do?

Anybody around doing core drilling? I got a hole in a wall of a parlour for a pto shaft for the genny to come out through done. 8" hole through an 8" wall. 50 Europeans and no hardship for auld Grueller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Weld a base plate to a post, drill and fix baseplate to concrete with M16/M20 concrete anchors, if you need to remove it just loosen bolts and lift off, obviously you may need to make up a cover for the remaining studs to stop driving over them or cattle standing on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭Grueller

Weld a base plate to a post, drill and fix baseplate to concrete with M16/M20 concrete anchors, if you need to remove it just loosen bolts and lift off, obviously you may need to make up a cover for the remaining studs to stop driving over them or cattle standing on them.

Only my opinion, but too slow to take up. Having to use tools makes it awkward. Also if there is dung about the bolts will seize up and be a divil to open in time. Drop post means it takes two seconds to move and no kneeling in dung.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Grueller wrote: »
    Only my opinion, but too slow to take up. Having to use tools makes it awkward. Also if there is dung about the bolts will seize up and be a divil to open in time. Drop post means it takes two seconds to move and no kneeling in dung.

100% on above.

Consaw to cut out square and kango out the piece. Set slieve about 18 inches but leave a little for capping at the top. Get a bit of ready mix if you can if you know your local suppliers (or just collect it). Better job than mixing yourself. It’s a two hour job at most and it’s done for ever.

I have it done in both sheds and yard and it’s the only job as you can run yard scraper/bucket clean over it and only takes a minute to take up the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭irishguy19772

Dunedin wrote: »
    100% on above.

Consaw to cut out square and kango out the piece. Set slieve about 18 inches but leave a little for capping at the top. Get a bit of ready mix if you can if you know your local suppliers (or just collect it). Better job than mixing yourself. It’s a two hour job at most and it’s done for ever.

I have it done in both sheds and yard and it’s the only job as you can run yard scraper/bucket clean over it and only takes a minute to take up the post.

Thanks very much. Great advice. Have you a pic of it by any chance?

• Advertisement

I’ll try later on if I can but I don’t seem to be able to upload photos but I’ll have another go later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Dunedin wrote: »
    100% on above.

What size gate could you hang from one of yhese posts. Putting some into a shed and unsure if a 15ft gate is too much

dar31 wrote: »
    What size gate could you hang from one of yhese posts. Putting some into a shed and unsure if a 15ft gate is too much

I have 15’ 9” heavy Jordanian gates but I’m using heavier posts but they close in off both sides to balance the load if you know what I mean. It’s not a bother to them. It’s a new shed (2018) and no sagging yet. It’s in my suckler shed and fierce handy for cleaning out when you can just lift posts.

I lift all posts then when cattle going out and I have a good wide open shed for parking machinery in from March to November.

I can’t upload pics for whatever reason, must a setting somewhere I’m missing???

It’s a simple thing really. Just setting a bit of box iron slieve in the concrete and keeping it a little lower than the concrete to allow the capping to sit flush when the post is taken up.

Any of the Agric engineering stores or even the coops will have the galvanised slieve and post set off the shelf so just pop in to wherever is local to you. I got a couple in Aarrabawn lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭irishguy19772

Thanks for taking time to reply.appreciate that

• Advertisement
Advertisement