Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop for grandparent

Options
  • 02-12-2020 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all,

The grandmother is looking for a basic laptop for occasional use. She is finding it hard to read the phone but loves to google. I doubt it will ever be used for games (unless the grandchildren get near it) but will probably install the rte player for her. Hoping to spend less than €300, is there anything basic available in this price range or do I need to spend more. Any recommendations would be great.

She dislikes tablets because she doesn't want to have to hold it so they are not an option.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

Never used them but chromebooks look like something worth looking into

Chromebooks are limited apps-wise but if literally it's just going to be for browsing and running rte player through the browser a chromebook is ok then

this one looks not the worst for the current price of 329 euros (on sale) in pc world so would act fast if you want to get it

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-c523-15-6-chromebook-intel-celeron-64-gb-emmc-silver-10209121-pdt.html

here's a review

https://uk.pcmag.com/netbooks/119570/asus-chromebook-c523

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dizzydoll

Thanks, I will check all of them. What do you think of this, recommended by a friend:

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-514-14-chromebook-intel-celeron-32-gb-emmc-silver-10189620-pdt.html

• Advertisement

dizzydoll wrote: »
    Thanks, I will check all of them. What do you think of this, recommended by a friend:

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-514-14-chromebook-intel-celeron-32-gb-emmc-silver-10189620-pdt.html

....ok once nothing will be need to be stored on it as 32gb is very tight

lower resolution screen

is it in stock - does not look like it

pc world leave out of stock listings on their site

I'd recommend this one on amazon for £300 as it has a better spec cpu

(the n4200 cpu is 50% more powerful than the other ones with the n4000 or n3350 cpu so worth it in terms of running smoother. the other ones are under-powered, even for chromebooks really)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Touchscreen-Chromebook-Processor-Display/dp/B07T7NP43B/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=chromebook&qid=1606923016&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyMlMwMkM3SDRON08yJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjAyNTk2MVNYVENYS0cyMEhRUiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjM0MDQ3MzVHRFVZNllESTFSQyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

it also has a touchscreen (may or may not be useful)

tis 1000 or so euro but i'd be remiss if i didn' say it. new macbook air with m1 chip. fanless. long battery life. It'll still be a great laptop in 10 years. If you can stretch the budget , deffo go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dizzydoll

Thanks glasso, that looks like a winner. Padjocollins, I wish the budget stretched that far but unfortunately not.

dizzydoll wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hoping to spend less than €300, is there anything basic available in this price range or do I need to spend more.

Thanks
    tis 1000 or so euro but i'd be remiss if i didn' say it. new macbook air with m1 chip. fanless. long battery life. It'll still be a great laptop in 10 years. If you can stretch the budget , deffo go for it.

Gotta love boards.

• Advertisement

i was aware of it and i said it so don't be a dick . wanted to make sure he's aware. knew he said under 300 quid. you never know how much one really has to spend or sees that it's worth putting extra into it.

i was aware of it and i said it so don't be a dick . wanted to make sure he's aware. knew he said under 300 quid. you never know how much one really has to spend or sees that it's worth putting extra into it.

she's buying a basic laptop for her granny - did you read the original post?

besides the 1100 euro cost for a macbook air - why would her granny need the new m1 chip macbook air?

and do you know how much the budget was - that's why the OP said €300

going near 4 times the budget is frankly ridiculous.

u really are a dick.

why would anyone need a fast laptop,with long battery life and never heats up, has no fans. Try and be a bit introspective youself, maybe then you'll be less of an asshole.

2nd time now explaining i was trying to be helpful. Too often we pass more or less cheap trash to our kids and older generations because we think it would be wasted on them . geuss what, the better something is the more often you'll use it .

I just said if he could stretch his budged. it's not 400k , it's 4time 300 euro which may or may have not been a lot for him. The m1 laptop is brand new and he may not have been aware of it. anyway i'm reporting this. i don't want any answer back from you that isn't generally seen as respectful (we all have our opinions and advice, that's what we're herer for) by others

lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

u really are a dick.

why would anyone need a fast laptop,with long battery life and never heats up, has no fans. Try and be a bit introspective youself, maybe then you'll be less of an asshole.

2nd time now explaining i was trying to be helpful. Too often we pass more or less cheap trash to our kids and older generations because we think it would be wasted on them . geuss what, the better something is the more often you'll use it .

I just said if he could stretch his budged. it's not 400k , it's 4time 300 euro which may or may have not been a lot for him. The m1 laptop is brand new and he may not have been aware of it. anyway i'm reporting this. i don't want any answer back from you that isn't generally seen as respectful (we all have our opinions and advice, that's what we're herer for) by others

There is no need to call someone a dick. People are free to criticise your recommendations if they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

My mother in law was in same situation and a laptop was to much . She initially didn’t like a tablet as she didn’t want to hold it. We got her a very basic iPad and an after market keyboard case.
    All she needed was google and the odd app and death notices.
    She loves it now and how she can pinch to zoom or make texts as large as she wants.
    She still doesn’t hold but sits at kitchen table using it and loves FaceTime with the grandkids especially over lockdowns .
    She has become a dab hand at using it for a lady in her 80,s

There is no need to call someone a dick. People are free to criticise your recommendations if they like.

The is obviously a case of a very triggered person

the OP's granny needs a laptop with clearly stated simple use cases for web-browsing and rte player - you couldn't get any simpler a requirement

clearly stated budget of €300 euro

someone though has macbook m1 chip air on the brain and just wants to tell the world about it as they are clearly in love.

even though it's nearly 4 times the budget and absolute over-kill for the use cases also.

then goes on to argue that maybe 4 times their budget might be perfectly fine!

even though the budget was actually stated as "Hoping to spend less than €300"

I don't think that I've seen a more stupid suggestion actually

who is the stupid one here ? yes i think the m1 is great , why ?
    it's touted as a massive change in computing, who wouldn't like a 20 hr battery and fanless, speedy laptop.
    i have repeatedly and clearly stated why i suggested the m1 knowing that is it out of her initial suggested budget. you continue to ignore that and call me stupid. you are the idiot.
    such condesention is triggering. I've no problem with other opinions, i do with superior attitudes, closed mindedness, trolling and so on

lol off .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

glasso wrote: »
    The is obviously a case of a very triggered person

the OP's granny needs a laptop with clearly stated simple use cases for web-browsing and rte player - you couldn't get any simpler a requirement

clearly stated budget of €300 euro

someone though has macbook m1 chip air on the brain and just wants to tell the world about it as they are clearly in love.

even though it's nearly 4 times the budget and absolute over-kill for the use cases also.

then goes on to argue that maybe 4 times their budget might be perfectly fine!

even though the budget was actually stated as "Hoping to spend less than €300"

I don't think that I've seen a more stupid suggestion actually

Yeah, you've already made your point. Stop trying to wind the guy up.

Lads, will the two of ye cut it out. We're talking about a laptop recommendation for someone's granny. No need to start getting at each other's throats over it.

• Advertisement

who is the stupid one here ? yes i think the m1 is great , why ?
    it's touted as a massive change in computing, who wouldn't like a 20 hr battery and fanless, speedy laptop.
    i have repeatedly and clearly stated why i suggested the m1 knowing that is it out of her initial suggested budget. you continue to ignore that and call me stupid. you are the idiot.
    such condesention is triggering. I've no problem with other opinions, i do with superior attitudes, closed mindedness, trolling and so on

lol off .

sounds like it might take you well over 20 hours to calm down.

sounds like it might take you well over 20 hours to calm down.

I literally just told you to stop trying to wind the guy up. Cop on.

I literally just told you to stop trying to wind the guy up. Cop on.

excuse me but this "person" started coming out with all sorts of name-calling / flaming

any other forum and you'd be banned for that

you can also clearly see that pointless recommendations (as well as flaming obviously) are against the charter of this forum as per charter link below

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=251579

Pointless recommendations
    Post that suggest a laptop that is completely unsuitable for what a thread starter requested will result in the poster getting a first and final warning. Subsequent pointless posts will result in a ban.

Flaming (Blagging)
    Bad mouthing other members is not allowed on this forum or Boards so dont do it.Also no use of bad language as we do have a lot of younger members here.

excuse me but this "person" started coming out with all sorts of name-calling / flaming

any other forum and you'd be banned for that

you can also clearly see that pointless recommendations (as well as flaming obviously) are against the charter of this forum as per charter link below

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=251579

I try to avoid bans. Ye are both as bad as each other. You give out about him flaming but you are doing the same thing. You're deliberately trying to wind him up. Even now you are still at it by calling him "person". Cop on, grow up and get back to the topic at hand. Anything that isn't a laptop suggestion or discussion about suggestions will get a ban. Any more childish crap, sniping or abuse will get a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jc bamford

I know I am a bit late getting in here, but for an older person I think it is worth considering the merits of a small Chromebook. I am speaking from experience with a person who found a 15 in. Asus 550 laptop too cumbersome to use unless sitting at a table. We replaced this with an Acer R 11 Chromebook. The screen is about the size of an average tablet. It made a huge difference. They can pick it up and take it anywhere, usually use it sitting in an armchair and can leave it aside or hand it somebody almost like a book or newspaper. It is simple to use and they dont have to worry about it being plugged in once it is charged once a day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I have just ordered this for an older person who will be using it for Internet and email and MS office, I think the spec is very decent for the price,

15.6" screen which IMO suits an older person better than a 14"
    No need massive storage space so the 128 SSD is perfectly fine
    Ryzen 3 Processor is decent and benchmarks very well against an Intel i3
    1 year sub to Microsoft 365

4GB RAM may be a bottleneck but depending on what they are using I don't see it being an issue, I can upgrade to another 4GB if required.

The Windows 10s may need a license to 10 pro as you wont be able to run apps not on the Windows store, but HUKD had a license for around £6 the other day so activate that and you have a full version of Windows.

I will report back when it arrives and I configure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

People have suggested a Chromebook, but the RTÉ Player's faqs say "We currently do not support Chromebook" : https://www.rte.ie/player/en_IE/profile/faq

They also say Linux is supported, so how about getting a redundant, but cheap, second hand Windows laptop and sticking Linux on it? NB: I do not know how feasible this is!

Louche Lad wrote: »
    People have suggested a Chromebook, but the RTÉ Player's faqs say "We currently do not support Chromebook" : https://www.rte.ie/player/en_IE/profile/faq

They also say Linux is supported, so how about getting a redundant, but cheap, second hand Windows laptop and sticking Linux on it? NB: I do not know how feasible this is!

RTE don't have a chrome OS app but you can access rte player through any web browser so can easily be accessed on a chromebook

also many chromebooks today allow the installation of android apps so can use the android app in terms of dedicated apps

bennyc wrote: »
    I have just ordered this for an older person who will be using it for Internet and email and MS office, I think the spec is very decent for the price,

15.6" screen which IMO suits an older person better than a 14"
    No need massive storage space so the 128 SSD is perfectly fine
    Ryzen 3 Processor is decent and benchmarks very well against an Intel i3
    1 year sub to Microsoft 365

4GB RAM may be a bottleneck but depending on what they are using I don't see it being an issue, I can upgrade to another 4GB if required.

The Windows 10s may need a license to 10 pro as you wont be able to run apps not on the Windows store, but HUKD had a license for around £6 the other day so activate that and you have a full version of Windows.

I will report back when it arrives and I configure it.

cheap upgrade for 4gb ddr4 sodimm 2400Mhz on amazon - 15 euro or not much more.

cheap so it's a no-brainer and worth it. helps with even basic tasks like web browsing

windows 10s can be turned off to normal windows 10 in a 2 minute settings change.

absolutely no need for buying windows 10 pro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

A chromebook is perfect for this. My parents have an Acer one for the exact same reason, it must be at least 5-6 years old and it's still flying.

Advertisement