Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lighting a garage with a deep cycle battery?

Options
  • 02-12-2020 7:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi,
    Hope this is the right spot to ask this - couldn’t find earlier posts.

I have a remote garage with no power or light, and it seems like my option is either to carry a big portable light if I want to do any work there, or otherwise make something like a LED strip linked to a battery that will need to be charged from time to time.

Does anyone have advice on this kind of setup?
    - the minimum AH needed for the battery to be workable? Batteries (not car, more marine/motor home)
    - the battery option would let me run an inverter too for electrical devices as far as I can see. Would this require a bigger battery?

Any other suggestions welcome. I can’t run a solar panel unfortunately, which is what most online guides focus on.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A generator might be a better option. Unless it’s low wattage items you’re using an inverter will be very heavy on your battery.
    You could look at solar panels keeping a few 100ah batteries topped up, but if you’re running power tools etc you might as well just get a generator.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Have you considered just getting a pack of 4 of the LED Solar lights on amazon ? they are cheap and do the job very well. can place solar cells outside and light unit inside.

job done, no messing around

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

My experience of running lead acid batteries like this (for electric fencing) has been poor. They're bloody heavy, expensive and don't like being deep discharged, whatever the marketing says.

You'd probably be better off with an LFP pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DavisBXL

Lumen wrote: »
    My experience of running lead acid batteries like this (for electric fencing) has been poor. They're bloody heavy, expensive and don't like being deep discharged, whatever the marketing says.

You'd probably be better off with an LFP pack.

Thanks for all the feedback. I’m shying away from the generator option because it’s in a closed space with no ventilation.

The solar option is appealing but unless I run the cable out the door and onto a roof that isn’t mine, I won’t have a neat way to run it.

If the inverter isn’t great I could simply run 12v led strip lights directly connected to the battery I guess?

Sorry but what is LFP?

Cheers

Solar doesnt have to be at roof level. in fact having them on the ground allows for cleaning and or manipulation for light capture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DavisBXL

listermint wrote: »
    Have you considered just getting a pack of 4 of the LED Solar lights on amazon ? they are cheap and do the job very well. can place solar cells outside and light unit inside.

job done, no messing around

Just to make sure I follow (this is all new to me) so you mean a model like this?

Solar Lights for Outdoors, 56 LED Solar Lights with Motion Sensor, IP65 Waterproof, 120° Lighting Angle Outdoor Light with 16.5 ft Cable (Energy Class A+++) https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07YCPG3N5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_Hf5XFb0CC98W3

DavisBXL wrote: »
    Just to make sure I follow (this is all new to me) so you mean a model like this?

Solar Lights for Outdoors, 56 LED Solar Lights with Motion Sensor, IP65 Waterproof, 120° Lighting Angle Outdoor Light with 16.5 ft Cable (Energy Class A+++) https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07YCPG3N5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_Hf5XFb0CC98W3

A model like that yes, That one is PIR activated though. There is switched versions out there or unless PIR makes sense for you. It would enhance the power time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

DavisBXL wrote: »
    Sorry but what is LFP?

Lithium iron phosphate, also known as LiFePO₄

Obviously you'll need some type of battery even with solar if you want lights when it's dark.

• Site Banned Posts: 27 Drewgerger

Amazon uk should have led battery lights

Advertisement