Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evohome, Tado, Drayton Wiser & Hive with No Internet

Options
  • 01-12-2020 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All,

Will the phone/tablet app work for these systems without an internet connection? Not a problem for Evohome it seems but for Tado, Wiser, and Hive it would be probably a nightmare if possible at all to set up or change settings without a decent interface. And since the NBP is going so well I'm still stuck with very bad and patchy wireless broadband. There's also a possibility that after going through all that stuff on them heating controls I start wearing an aluminum hat and disconnect from the internets :P to avoid THEM – a.k.a. go nuts!

I do understand that I won't have remote access from outside to the system when the broadband is off but what about access from inside the local wi-fi network?

Any users of these systems? They all advertise their apps, cloud, and such but I can't see any info on this. Tado dropped the topic out of the conversation, although it's just the start of it at the moment.

Please advise ladies and boys.

To give you some outlook. I'm looking for an upgrade to my heating controls. What I have at the moment is a boiler (oil-fired) which is controlled by a programmer (Flash Immermat). Next to it, I have 2 regular light switches which operate 2 motorised valves - one for upstairs radiators and the other for downstairs. The water gets heated whenever the boiler is on, regardless of the position of the valves. Apparently, this is a typical and the best arrangement or so my plumber says :)

So 3 zones, 2 controlled by valves and not much of control really, I have to manually operate switches to turn the heating on and off. This was of course a temporary arrangement but now it's time to upgrade! And judging by the prices ppl reported they were quoted for this type of work it's going to be DIY.

So I'm considering Evohome, Tado, Wiser, and Hive for their flexibility and app access.

I think I figured what I want for an Evohome setup (a controller, 3xBDR91, one more thermostat or radiator valve for upstairs control as a starter, and then build the system up with more of their radiator valves). I'm waiting for Tado to come back with their solution. I think Drayton's Wiser could do it with their Wiser Thermostat Kit 3 (for 3 channels) and I haven't looked at Hive yet.

I'll be looking for more help on this latter but the most important part at the moment is the operation without the internet. Basically, it's a no-go for me if I need an internet connection to operate the system!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

In short, no, most of these devices require an internet connection (kinda how they were conceived)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DonPol

Bad news. That would mean that Evohome may be the winner, as it can be set up and fully operated from the "Connected Controller" tablet thingie, it seems.

BTW, unfortunately, Hive is out, max 3 zones, which is fine now but no radiator valves for finer control in the future.

Still no word from Tado. Anybody with experience with Drayton Wiser?

Advertisement