Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old philmac water fittings

Options
  • 30-11-2020 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Can the old philmac fittings of approx 10 years ago still be got I. I put new water drinkers in the shed and used the new fittings and they are rubbish. 3 out of 5 drinkers were leaking the next morning. I found the old fittings and they are brilliant ( where the insert goes up in the pipe)
    Can they be got anymore

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

jd06 wrote: »
    Hi all
    Can the old philmac fittings of approx 10 years ago still be got I. I put new water drinkers in the shed and used the new fittings and they are rubbish. 3 out of 5 drinkers were leaking the next morning. I found the old fittings and they are brilliant ( where the insert goes up in the pipe)
    Can they be got anymore
    The new type work well as long as you fit them properly. It helps to chamfer the pipe end so it slides past the rubber O ring easily, and then tighten well with an adjustable wrench. Also you can get an insert for new fittings but they are lighter. I still see the the old fittings in older style DIY stores from time to time though. I think they fell out of favour as they reduced pipe bore, I often found in frost those joiners were the worst part as ice would keep getting the caught in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Look at Gripmax fittings. Similar to the old Philmac design.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭893bet

New ones far better IMO. Very easy to use. Surprised they are leaking and suspect o ring is not in correct position.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

Gillespy wrote: »
    Look at Gripmax fittings. Similar to the old Philmac design.

I got a few grip max elbows for connecting water troughs recently, found them awful unless everything was perfectly straight they were leaking at the pipe and leaking at the threads onto the trough even though there was plenty of tape on them, took them back and got philmac ones straight away the leaks all stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

893bet wrote: »
    New ones far better IMO. Very easy to use. Surprised they are leaking and suspect o ring is not in correct position.

They are better but if the outside of the pipe is in anyway damaged they will leak. Also for the yellow droppers in the parlour they don’t work as the water gets between the layers on the yellow pipe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Hi all
    Can they be got anymore

I find the new ones great. Make sure you are uninformed the right fitting for pipe size. The white collar is for the Heavy duty pipe. The red is for the normal gauge pipe. Also there is a different rubber used.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

OP how old is the pipe in the shed? If it's really old it might not fit.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

They are better but if the outside of the pipe is in anyway damaged they will leak. Also for the yellow droppers in the parlour they don’t work as the water gets between the layers on the yellow pipe

Just a tip re the droppers in pit. I have changed to using a clear tubing with a mesh woven into it, it's far stronger than yellow or green hose and doesn't have those layers to bulge out. Got it in local co-op.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Just a tip re the droppers in pit. I have changed to using a clear tubing with a mesh woven into it, it's far stronger than yellow or green hose and doesn't have those layers to bulge out. Got it in local co-op.

I’ll try them next time Are they alright with hot water

I’ll try them next time Are they alright with hot water

Yeah they are. Also if you haven't tried them before the Anka guns for the droppers are excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jd06

blue5000 wrote: »
    OP how old is the pipe in the shed? If it's really old it might not fit.

It's new piping but maybe I'm now putting enough time into it. I'll keep a open mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭cjpm

It's new piping but maybe I'm now putting enough time into it. I'll keep a open mind

You have to use the inserts. Total disaster without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭50HX

cjpm wrote: »
    You have to use the inserts. Total disaster without them.

+1 on the insert...i assume its normal gauge hydradare

Stay away from gripmax fittings

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jd06

50HX wrote: »
    +1 on the insert...i assume its normal gauge hydradare

Stay away from gripmax fittings

With the normal gauge I thought you just push the pipe in and tighten. No need for inserts?

I mean push the pipe into the red fittings that's in the joint?

With the normal gauge I thought you just push the pipe in and tighten. No need for inserts?

I mean push the pipe into the red fittings that's in the joint?
    Inserts are available for normal gauge also. They strengthen the barrel of the pipe and you can tighten, open and re tighten the fitting without the pipe end getting damaged and causing a leak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Inserts are available for normal gauge also. They strengthen the barrel of the pipe and you can tighten, open and re tighten the fitting without the pipe end getting damaged and causing a leak

They're more like the insert for qualpex pipe than the old philmac insert. They're red as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭50HX

Yeah spot on

I was talking to rep one day and he said it's nearly impoosible to get peopke to use the insert
    Stores don't promote them enough either imo

Once the red insert is in, the fitting is not compromised and can be reused/disconnected easily, hence the design change

Advertisement