Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-flooring a 7' X 4' trailer

Options
  • 29-11-2020 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

The floor of my trailer is after rotting away and I'm not sure what to re-floor it with? I don't want to use metal or aluminium as it has some type of plwood on it at the moment - has anyone recently refloored a car trailer and what did you use please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Jb1989

The floor of my trailer is after rotting away and I'm not sure what to re-floor it with? I don't want to use metal or aluminium as it has some type of plwood on it at the moment - has anyone recently refloored a car trailer and what did you use please?

On the stockboard thread, bass said he used stockboard for a floor there earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Justjens

Special ply for flooring trailers, from any Ifor Williams stockist.

https://www.donedeal.ie/plantmachinery-for-sale/ifor-williams-trailer-flooring/18485451

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Limofarmer

Justjens wrote: »
    Special ply for flooring trailers, from any Ifor Williams stockist.

https://www.donedeal.ie/plantmachinery-for-sale/ifor-williams-trailer-flooring/18485451

Resin ply only way to go . Fitted the 18mm to this trailer earlier in the year .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Put decking boards on an Ifor Williams 12x6 builders trailer.
    It lasted about 12 years and we re-did it this summer, the timber was tanalised and strangely some boards had rotted away and some were as sound as the day I put them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,533 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We got sawmills to saw larch boards for us 10 years ago. Did cattle trailer and builders trailer.

Both still like day one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭minerleague

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Put decking boards on an Ifor Williams 12x6 builders trailer.
    It lasted about 12 years and we re-did it this summer, the timber was tanalised and strangely some boards had rotted away and some were as sound as the day I put them on.

Is there recycled plastic decking ? Haven't used it but for trailer left out most of the time would it be an idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Omallep2

Limofarmer wrote: »
    Resin ply only way to go . Fitted the 18mm to this trailer earlier in the year .

Great job. How did you attach it? I have a damaged t I mber ply flooring and wondering would it work well to screw through resin ply into timber ply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Is Resin ply the same as marine ply. We used Marine ply. Must be in it 30yrs now. I think the steel chassis will go first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭hopeso

Omallep2 wrote: »
    Great job. How did you attach it? I have a damaged t I mber ply flooring and wondering would it work well to screw through resin ply into timber ply?

No...remove the old ply and screw the resin sheet into the trailer cross members.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Buffalo board is a trade name for resin impregnated ply board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Limofarmer

Omallep2 wrote: »

Guy I bought the resin ply from supplied a proper screw with countersink head on it . Predrill a hole down through ply and into steel . Then the screw self tapped it’s way in using cordless drill. Head of screw finished flush with ply ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I'd say larch here too. Have a trailer the father built in the 70s and the floor is still in it, with just one hole from where a rock was dropped in and broke it.

Bigger tipper has larch on the sides, front and back. These were replaced this year. The trailer was twisted from diggers hitting it and the timber broke.

Have had 2 home built cattle trailers, and a cattle lorry all with larch floors. Never need to be changed in my lifetime.

So yeah larch, great stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Thanks everyone, some good stuff to research there

Advertisement