Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom Extractor fan

Options
  • 29-11-2020 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hey bought a house a year ago and the extractor fans in the bathroom don’t seem to be working getting a lot of dampness when showering.I’m going to replace them with new ones but when I looked at side of house I don’t see any vents would they be run anywhere else I wonder?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They could be run to vent slates, they could be run to soffit or they may be just discharging to the attic which is very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Damien360

Blues14 wrote: »
    Hey bought a house a year ago and the extractor fans in the bathroom don’t seem to be working getting a lot of dampness when showering.I’m going to replace them with new ones but when I looked at side of house I don’t see any vents would they be run anywhere else I wonder?

Usually out a vent but you could have a vent in the ceiling of the bathroom which is connected via fan out to the exit at your soffit. Have similar on mine as an extra to the one out large vent but it’s a load of balls. The cold air in the floor insulated attic condenses the steam back to water before it has a chance to exit via pipe out the soffit.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Blues14

There is vents on roof could they be connected to those vents?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If the door into the room is tight all the way around. I.e there is not a significant gap beneath it you could buy the fanciest fan on the market and it would still be useless.

You need a draw of air into the room for the fan to vent out. Suggest checking the door gap at the saddle board.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,354 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, can you elaborate on what you mean by 'dampness' in the bathroom? Do you mean that water is condensing on the ceiling and falling as drops or is water dripping down the walls and if the latter, are the walls tiled or plastered?

It's unlikely that the dampness in the bathroom has anything to do with where the fan (fans?) is/are blowing the air. But if there are roof vents, it's likely that that's where the air is going.

Are the extract vents in the bathroom ceiling and can you take a look in the attic to see if there are ducts?

• Advertisement
Advertisement