Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to locate pipes before fixing loose floorboards

Options
  • 29-11-2020 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

We have tongue and groove floors upstairs in a 20 y/o house. Some of the bedroom floors are really noisy when they're walked on so I want to fix them.

Before I start fixing the boards to the joists with screws is there any way I can check to see where the pipework is wihtout having to first lift the boards?

Note floors are tongue and groove so I can't slip a blade down between the boards to check for pipes. The pipes are a type of PVC/CPVC I think.

Thanks for helping!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,231 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

what makes you think they are there?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

madds wrote: »
    We have tongue and groove floors upstairs in a 20 y/o house. Some of the bedroom floors are really noisy when they're walked on so I want to fix them.

Before I start fixing the boards to the joists with screws is there any way I can check to see where the pipework is wihtout having to first lift the boards?

Note floors are tongue and groove so I can't slip a blade down between the boards to check for pipes. The pipes are a type of PVC/CPVC I think.

Thanks for helping!

Hi,
    I recommend using self tapping wood screws and some knee pads, there are also Philips head adapters available for a drill where the outter part "DeWalt" logo doesn't rotate; meaning you can hold it while drilling.

pmgPVZtBj

Foaming around the edge of the floor while you have it stepped out; also helps reduce heat loss.

pnSkWo4Cj

Anyway; to answer your question, a wall stud finder which detects studs, pipes and cables will also work on the floor, available from Amazon fairly cheap, I have a Stanley branded unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I did this recently on the landing before new carpet went down. It was quite bad and I must have put in about 40 screws. I just went by the existing nail, went to the side a cm or two and popped in a screw. Very happy with the end result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

what makes you think they are there?

Well there's a rad in each bedroom which is being fed by a pipe, so they're there somewhere. I'd rather take a cautious approach as against putting a screw through a pipe!

Thanks for the replies lads on a Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

theteal wrote: »
    I did this recently on the landing before new carpet went down. It was quite bad and I must have put in about 40 screws. I just went by the existing nail, went to the side a cm or two and popped in a screw. Very happy with the end result.

Yes, that's the approach I was going to take also. Use a countersink bit first so the screw head sits just below the surface of the board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,131 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Put the heating on, then feel the floor. (well it will find some of them!)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

looksee wrote: »

better of stripping down and lying face down on the floor.

More coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

looksee wrote: »

Can imagine him rolling around the floor like he's tripping on acid and the wife walks in 😂😲😲😲

Advertisement