Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pictures of stove and chimney leaking at pipe adaptor

Options
  • 29-11-2020 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks,

1. light stove occasionally, and when we do after an hr the smell is terrible,
    2, suspected flue leaking as there is a drip stain on the black pipe going from stove to chimney flue.
    3, started hacking.
    4, you can see where the flue reducer adaptor is shoved up the chimeny, and then pulled down and in to the stove pipe.
    5. you can see the issue is where this flue reducer is not making a complete seal against the wall of the clay flue. and is leaking any sort of moisture and condensation.
    6, why on earth is the adaptors fitted like this ill never know as its bound to leak at some stage.

I just hacked it out this evening and looking for the best way to deal with this.

the fire is not lit daily, probably just weekends,

we need to insure that anything that goes down the chimney goes down in to the stove.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Using a flue adapter is a cheaper way to set up a stove but can cause different problems like the gap you have.Condensation causes drips that look terrible and smell bad.Condensation can lead to creosote build up which can cause a chimney fire if not kept clean.
    The best way is to fit a flexi flue.It is more expensive but no condensation and no gaps and no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

upupup wrote: »
    Using a flue adapter is a cheaper way to set up a stove but can cause different problems like the gap you have.Condensation causes drips that look terrible and smell bad.Condensation can lead to creosote build up which can cause a chimney fire if not kept clean.
    The best way is to fit a flexi flue.It is more expensive but no condensation and no gaps and no problems

Thanks, I have seen the 6inch flexi flue mentioned a lot with stoves.

Its what I am going to do the weekend. I have it all ripped out and the flue measured, ill get the liner, an adaptor for the stove 5 inch pipe to 6 inch liner.

my only concern is that when the flexi liner heats up that i end up having the same issue, the flue itself is alomst like new, it was used heavily for 5 months , (daily) and then we swapped rooms, and only light it occasionally.

would the heat of the liner cause anything to start running on the clay flue?

also, i will be getting a special cowl for the top to stop rain going down between the liner and the existing flue. dont see many for sale on irish sites,

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

The heat going from the flexi flue to the clay pots will be dry heat so it will dry out the pots.The problem was condensation in the smoke cooling and turning to water on the cold clay pot, that will be contained in the flexiflue.Make sure all connection are wide side up so any condensation that might form or rain goes down into the stove.Rain isn't a big problem but a cowl won't do any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

P_Cash wrote: »
    Thanks, I have seen the 6inch flexi flue mentioned a lot with stoves.

Its what I am going to do the weekend. I have it all ripped out and the flue measured, ill get the liner, an adaptor for the stove 5 inch pipe to 6 inch liner.

my only concern is that when the flexi liner heats up that i end up having the same issue, the flue itself is alomst like new, it was used heavily for 5 months , (daily) and then we swapped rooms, and only light it occasionally.

would the heat of the liner cause anything to start running on the clay flue?

also, i will be getting a special cowl for the top to stop rain going down between the liner and the existing flue. dont see many for sale on irish sites,

Backfill the gap with vermiculite insulation. Ceramic insulation and closure plate at the bottom.
    Pot hanging cowl on top.

https://chimneychoice.ie/pot-hanging-anti-bird-anti-rain-cowl-5-stainless-steel-chimney-cowl-abarcph125

Make sure chimney is cleaned well before installation of a Flexi liner.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

Forge83 wrote: »
    Backfill the gap with vermiculite insulation. Ceramic insulation and closure plate at the bottom.
    Pot hanging cowl on top.

https://chimneychoice.ie/pot-hanging-anti-bird-anti-rain-cowl-5-stainless-steel-chimney-cowl-abarcph125

Make sure chimney is cleaned well before installation of a Flexi liner.

that's the cowl alright.

I have seen some people online, putting rockwool around the bottom, where the adapters join 5 inch to 6 etc.. almost as a a plug for example around the liner on say the bottom clay flue pipe,

is this safe ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

P_Cash wrote: »
    that's the cowl alright.

I have seen some people online, putting rockwool around the bottom, where the adapters join 5 inch to 6 etc.. almost as a a plug for example around the liner on say the bottom clay flue pipe,

is this safe ?

I would advise using ceramic blanket rather than rockwool.
    Rockwool can give off a bad odour under high temperature.

Advertisement