Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolutely nothing to do at work

Options
  • 29-11-2020 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

please remove

Comments

What have you asked, shown interest in or suggested doing in the past two years?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 coffee table jazz

What have you asked, shown interest in or suggested doing in the past two years?

That's the thing, we moved our ICT infra and support and management to DPER who are trying to take on all this stuff from smaller depts to centralise it. I was busy enough managing that project. But since then I don't see the point in me being there.
    I am going to have to speak to my manager soon and I'll just lay it out that I don't know why I was hired or what I'm doing there.
    I just want to get out though, maybe HR can get me a move to another department or something, so I need to look into that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭enricoh

If you didn't have an it degree I'd say stay in the public sector. You could get a job with a multinational but u could get worked to the bone too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

If ever there was an example of what's wrong with this country. Get yourself a real job and stop collecting a salary from tax payers for doing nothing.

As for 'you could get a job working for a multinational but you could get worked to the bone'.......

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Get back into the private sector do you want to spend the rest of your life "working"with pencil pushing clock watching deadbeats?

Civil service is the graveyard of ambition

• Advertisement

Talk to your manager, but a bit of advice:

- prepare it well in advance
    - forget about your wide-ranging complaints so far, though it's fine to rely on relevant facts to support yourself as relates to your actual current situation
    - concentrate on yourself, what you want to do to develop and that you don't feel that the opportunities are there in your current role and don't see them coming

See what their response is

- note that a transfer might be a very good option, your manager would be needed to support this so keep them sweet and keep the conversation positive and about you and what you're hoping to do as part of your career development

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭combat14

the last person i knew who went in and told their boss they were doing nothing (had nothing to do) had to look for a new job not long after..

the boss said to him .. "have a look out there .. do you think any of them are doing anything either..."

so the cat or secret was out of the bag and no body wants that..

so perhaps the OP may want to check their emergency fund is fully funded, dust off their cv and have a new job lined up before speaking with their boss .....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,923 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s a catch 22...

At the beginning of the last recession we were bored off our tits for about a third of a shift and the day / week was dragging for the most part.

A colleague told me he wanted to go to management and volunteer us to get trained to augment work from other departments... he was moaning that his mental health was being affected just sitting around...

Both a colleague and myself knew that if we took on ‘extra’ that was outside our scope of employment just to kill time... when things get busy again, we’ll never manage to hand this work back...

He ignored us, all of a sudden we are on training courses and assigned work that had zero relevance or relationship to the position we are hired...

Recession over, we are swamped, as expected we can’t handle the volume of extra work or give the work back. When it’s said... “nahh part of YOUR gig now”... ‘giving a dig out’ becomes ‘our job’ because of it...people were going long term sick and leaving... because of some easily bored, attention seeking, gobby brown nosing fûckwit.

Look for a transfer or leave...no point in fûcking things up for other team members who are quite satisfied to present for work, to do the work they agreed to in their contract and were hired to do...busy, quiet or in between.

Advertisement