Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

welding Question

Options
  • 29-11-2020 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Having a nightmare with the security nut on the cars alloy wheels. I replaced 3 of them but the 4th is broken. I have an old Aldi arc welder. Problem is I cant see how im going to use the ground clamp. The head came off the wheel stud. I basically just want to tac it back on to remove the bolt. Any suggestions regarding a ground point?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Can you not get the clamp onto the body some how

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Can you not get the clamp onto the body some how

Body of the car? yeah im sure I can. I just thought it had to be clamped onto the project im welding. I am aware of disconnecting the battery beforehand.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Drill it and use a stud extractor.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    Drill it and use a stud extractor.

Always ends in disaster for me. If the weld fails I'll try an extractor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Put clamp onto the wheel, will be the shortest path for the current.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Body of the car? yeah im sure I can. I just thought it had to be clamped onto the project im welding. I am aware of disconnecting the battery beforehand.

Shouldn't matter really as long as its connected to some part of the car

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I don't think it's a great idea to have the earth clamp on the car body, the path back to earth is through a lot of rubber bushes. I'd try and clamp as close as I could to the wheel stub even at that I'd worry about damaging the wheel bearing with the current.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

remove one of the other nuts , get a small steel plate with a hole in it to suit the bolt, bend it out towards you and then bolt it on to the wheel. Clamp your earth to the piece of steel.

Sorted. Thanks all for the help and info.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,231 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Sorted. Thanks all for the help and info.
    how?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

how?

I glued the broken head in place. Grounded to the wheel and then welded the head back on. It only required a few tac's. Replaced it with a standard wheel stud.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mickward

Get yourself a longish bolt, put the earth clamp on the bolt head and hold the other end of the bolt against the damaged stud, Weld bolt to damaged stud, remove damaged stud using the bolt you welded to it and then replace the damaged stud with a new one.
    Simples and the job is done!

mickward wrote: »
    Get yourself a longish bolt, put the earth clamp on the bolt head and hold the other end of the bolt against the damaged stud, Weld bolt to damaged stud, remove damaged stud using the bolt you welded to it and then replace the damaged stud with a new one.
    Simples and the job is done!

I have seen it done that way alright. Problem is I have zero experience welding. I do want to learn though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Out of interest what car was it and were they the factory fitted lock nuts?

Wake me up when it's all over.

Out of interest what car was it and were they the factory fitted lock nuts?

C4 Picasso. Yeah factory fitted. I would imagine an impact wrench was used on them before.

C4 Picasso. Yeah factory fitted. I would imagine an impact wrench was used on them before.

Nothing unusual there, very frustrating when you're on the side of the road in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Nothing unusual there, very frustrating when you're on the side of the road in the rain.

Just changed them all on my Ford Focus, the lock nuts surprising all came off very easily but the plain nuts had swollen and one was so tight I thought I was going to sheer the stud off.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Just changed them all on my Ford Focus, the lock nuts surprising all came off very easily but the plain nuts had swollen and one was so tight I thought I was going to sheer the stud off.

Between that and the alloy welding itself to the hub it's enough to make you do a Basil Fawlty on it. I kicked one off in sheer temper one dark and drizzly morning,I put the spare under the sill in case it came off the jack...

Advertisement