Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I turn on my oil fired central heating?

Options
  • 29-11-2020 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭

Just moved into our first home, we haven’t had OFCH before. Our tank has oil in it. We have a Firebird burner out the back, there’s a big ol’ red button in the middle.

I can’t find any switches to turn it on in the house. One of the radiators has a dial you can turn. That’s about it.

I have it due to be serviced on Tuesday.

But in the meantime... Please help, we are cold!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I wouldn't reccommendat turning it on until you have it looked at. Who knows when it was last running correctly.

However if you want to chance it, do you have anything like this.

Is it an outside boiler, got a pic of it?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Wearb wrote: »
    I wouldn't reccommendat turning it on until you have it looked at. Who knows when it was last running correctly.

However if you want to chance it, do you have anything like this.

Is it an outside boiler, got a pic of it?

We are definitely going to be careful!

We have that exact one, however it just heats up the tap water as far as I know.

I have attached two images.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭sundodger5

VonVix wrote: »
    We are definitely going to be careful!

We have that exact one, however it just heats up the tap water as far as I know.

I have attached two images.

That button is a lockout button and unless lit up has nothing to do with starting the boiler.
    The switch, which i inagine is some sort of timer, should be in the house. Have a look in the hot press.

Any switch near that timer? Any switches in the hotpress? Any wall thermostat?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Find a wire going to the actual burner and trace it back until you get to a switch.

• Advertisement

sundodger5 wrote: »
    That button is a lockout button and unless lit up has nothing to do with starting the boiler.
    The switch, which i inagine is some sort of timer, should be in the house. Have a look in the hot press.

Hot press just has 4 switches that say
    On - Off
    Bath - Sink

No other timers or switches inside.
    Any switch near that timer? Any switches in the hotpress? Any wall thermostat?

There's one switch on the floor with a "do not turn off" label, the wires follow up to the boiler.
    kona wrote: »
    Find a wire going to the actual burner and trace it back until you get to a switch.

I had a look but the burner is right up against the wall, so I can't follow any wires coming out of it and going into the house. But the burner is on the other side of the Timer on the wall for heating the water.

Turn off that on/off immersion switch. Manually turn on the timer. then see if there is power at the boiler. You might be able to feel the circulating pump running.
    I'm not sure if that timer is controlling the boiler or immersion (most likely boiler)
    Hot press just has 4 switches that say
    On - Off
    Bath - Sink
    4 switches? Pic

Turn off that on/off immersion switch. Manually turn on the timer. then see if there is power at the boiler. You might be able to feel the circulating pump running.
    I'm not sure if that timer is controlling the boiler or immersion (most likely boiler)
    4 switches? Pic

Thanks for your help in all this. It’s really frustrating trying to figure out everything.

Thanks for your help in all this. It’s really frustrating trying to figure out everything.
    That's 2 switches :confused:.
    Did you do as I asked in previous post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I'm no expert but you would have to assume there are at least 2 zones for the boiler - water and radiators. Most likely the controls are either near the boiler, close to the kitchen (could be in a press) or in the hot press.

• Advertisement

That's 2 switches :confused:.
    Did you do as I asked in previous post?

Sorry, I meant 4 options. :o

Yes, I turned the immersion switch off. Timer is on. There's no rumble, I can't feel anything turned on.

There is a thermostat beside the boiler and a small cover beside the dial for that stat. Remove that cover and press the little matchstick-like button in, then press that red button and post back here if anything happens

Is there a thermostat on the wall somewhere.
    It might be turned down low

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

The plumbing looks relatively new for the age of the house.. and boiler..

Look for a supplier/installer sticker anywhere near plumbing, most likely at the boiler. The fitter could be still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

There's one switch on the floor with a "do not turn off" label, the wires follow up to the boiler.

Sounds like there's an electronic timer somewhere.

Advertisement