Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hydrated Lime on calf bedding area

Options
  • 28-11-2020 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭

Recently bought a 25 Kg bag of hydrated lime (cubicle lime). Plan is to use some on the bedding area for the calves.
    Would it be better to spread on the bare concrete first and then add the straw on top or can I spread over the straw as I go.?
    I've never used it here before.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Spread it before the straw goes in anyway. I'd occasionally put the 10% hydrated on top of the straw but tbh sufficient straw would be the most important. The hydrated stuff could be harsh on the lungs, don't use it on cubicles here, use the 10% mix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

yeh, thats what we do, on bare concrete and then straw. Wear gloves, mask and expect clothes to be covered in it. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Grueller

Mooooo wrote: »
    Spread it before the straw goes in anyway. I'd occasionally put the 10% hydrated on top of the straw but tbh sufficient straw would be the most important. The hydrated stuff could be harsh on the lungs, don't use it on cubicles here, use the 10% mix

I use the hydrated here but have a proper mask for spray painting that I always put on when spreading it. Dont have masks for the cows though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Dunedin

yeh, thats what we do, on bare concrete and then straw. Wear gloves, mask and expect clothes to be covered in it. Great stuff.

+1 on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It can iritate / burn areas of skin. Years ago had a donkey who put its head in a bag of hydrated lime and burned the skin around it nose. So yeah under the straw for safety.

• Advertisement
Advertisement