Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matt or gloss new kitchen?

Options
  • 28-11-2020 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Building new kitchen in new extension. We want a modern kitchen and island. Bamboozled about the gloss v matt finish. I want low maintenance / easy cleaning as have young ( messy) kids. I was all for high gloss for that reason til I heard that it can show up every fingerprint and scratch easily. We want neutral colour like white/ ivory.
    Interested to hear from both experiences.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Building new kitchen in new extension. We want a modern kitchen and island. Bamboozled about the gloss v matt finish. I want low maintenance / easy cleaning as have young ( messy) kids. I was all for high gloss for that reason til I heard that it can show up every fingerprint and scratch easily. We want neutral colour like white/ ivory.
    Interested to hear from both experiences.

If you are going for white/cream with sirty messy kids its not matt/gloss that will be your biggest issue.

Used have a huge glass table in the living room - I disn’t realise it until then but I cannot stand greasy fingerprints or a scuffs on glass. If you also have this inner devil either matt or gloss may become a nightmare as grease and fingerprints stand out as bad on both - particularly both matt painted and high gloss features. Wood, I have learned, do not require as much work nor the constant spraying & polishing.

Tiles do not show up the grub iME and look great when wet or sprayed and hold that look.

I have some chalk painted units in my bathroom (creamish) and matt coloured walls (not tiles) ( moss greenish) - I tend to be more careful and they get washed down every couple of weeks - the units do not take it too well ( buckling edges after a few years & warped innards) and the walls required re-touching up every now & then as I scrub holes off the plasterboard/paint. Given, I can change the colours which is great but whats underneath is slightly corroding!

I’d guess there’d also be a lot of washing & stream & boiling in a kitchen? My kitchen walls above the cabinets are greasy despite great ventelation (& its quite a large kitchen) but as my units are wood I’m ok. The stainless steel is a pain to keep nice and shiney and watermark free thou.

I don’t mind clutter but I do mind looking grubby/shabby. lots of work in that.

A few neighbours got those fancy plastic type high gloss kitchen units in - very expensive - I was tempted - all have replaced them now - our houses are south facing and despite everything over time the units faded irregularily and cracked around the edges from the extremes of temperature & sun. Favourite colours were green/grey,maroon and cream - the red & creams looked worst first.

:0

+1 for wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭boardise

I'd be going matte -maybe gloss shows up too much condensation. Ivory an excellent choice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Regarding durability, it shouldn't matter whether you go for matt or gloss.. Plenty of modern paints out there that will stand up to abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

As my kitchen is dark i went for glossy white cabinets and black shiny tiles on floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Sunny_Arms

Hi OP! We're planning to replace our countertops because of damage and update and match them with our glossy white cabinets. I've heard different kinds of dirt showing up on matte and glossy countertops. As you said, you have messy kids, and I have one on the way, so I turn to you for some guidance. I read https://www.caesarstone.ca/blog/white-kitchen-cabinets-and-white-quartz-countertops/ and ended up with white countertops as well. What did you end up with? Gloss or matte?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 seylen

If the surface color is light, then there is no difference in whether it is matte or glossy. As for the dark colors, especially black, there is even more dirt and fingerprints visible than on white.

Advertisement