Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement for Nest thermostats

Options
  • 28-11-2020 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Have 2x 1st gen Nests with 2x heat links.
    Am having constant issues of the thermostats showing offline. No amount of technical support had resolved the issue permanently.
    Am considering to replace them with an alternative solution. Need something smart, remote control via web. I guess some form of installations is required
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I've installed hive, sonoff and Belkin wemo.
    Hive seems to give least trouble.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

Wearb wrote: »

Are you installer?
    Much work to install hive in a 3 zone house replacing Nest.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Not an official installer of hive, but they're easy enough to do. I mostly service and repair oil boilers.

If all zone valves together in hot press and wired conventually it makes it easier. It can also be wired to the wiring centre or existing programmer.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Any installers in the West of this beautiful country?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Hi ya

Hi had a lot of issues last year with our first gen nest was all down to wifi issues .no access unable to connect .have not had to reset in over a year .since doing something with our virgin media router .
    hope this helps

• Advertisement

Hi ya wrote: »
    Hi had a lot of issues last year with our first gen nest was all down to wifi issues .no access unable to connect .have not had to reset in over a year .since doing something with our virgin media router .
    hope this helps

I figure it's something like that, can you remember what you did?
    I've disabled firewall, opened some ports but not yet found the issue.
    We have VF fibre but is same issue with eir

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Wearb wrote: »

Hive uses zigbee and mesh networking, it is very reliable. The wireless battery powered thermostat is good, can be placed in a suitable location. Have never replaced the batteries in my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I have exactly the same issues since I got Vodafone fibre installed a few weeks ago. Santa is bringing me a wifi mesh system to solve it.

I have exactly the same issues since I got Vodafone fibre installed a few weeks ago. Santa is bringing me a wifi mesh system to solve it.

Mesh won't fix it, I have NG Orbi in AP mode connected to VF. Why you think mesh will cure it?

I am fully baffled. I opened a load of ports, disabled the firewall and added one nest to the DMZ..
    Any ideas what this table should look like

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Same issues with our two nests on a Vodafone router over the past year. A few days ago I tried switching the upstairs stat to the 5Ghz band out of interest and it hasn't gone offline once since, while the downstairs is remains on the 2.4Ghz and is offline more often than not still. Remains to be seen if this fixes it in the long run but might be worth a go.

Think I saw on reddit that some nests have a faulty wifi adapter anyway and nest support will send out replacements apparently, so that ill be next port of call if this doesn't work long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If thats VF Wireless internet? or old copper line? Consider a system that requires no external server connection. Local network only. Pinging back to base is part of the problem with yours i would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Solved these problems with virgin broadband for me. Google mesh wifi has transformed my home. We no longer have to reboot 10 times a day

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

listermint wrote: »
    If thats VF Wireless internet? or old copper line? Consider a system that requires no external server connection. Local network only. Pinging back to base is part of the problem with yours i would think.

No it's regular Vodafone home broadband, FTTC, so copper wire into the house I think and the stats are on the 2.4Ghz wifi (or were until I moved one to the 5Ghz).

listermint wrote: »

It's VF connection on fibre to the home 500mb
    I'm not sure what you mean with above?
    Is the app not always going out to Google cloud since it can be modified when not at the premises

Advertisement