Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One radiator not heating, rest of house fine

Options
  • 28-11-2020 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭

I have one double radiator in a conservatory that is never hot. It is barely warm to the touch.

I have bled it, no air in it or in any other radiator in the house, all are hot and many very hot.

Any idea why this one rad ain't behaving? To add, there is another half sized rad on the opposite side of the conservatory, and that's hot too.

Would like to get it sorted as in the winter, need the main one to be firing to heat the room.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

Is there a thermostatic valve on it? Sometimes the needle can get stuck closed

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Blowheads wrote: »
    Is there a thermostatic valve on it? Sometimes the needle can get stuck closed

No, just a standard rad.
    Nothing fancy about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

Turn down the rad that's too hot. I had a similar problem with two rads in the house.
    I just balanced my heating this week by turning down some that were too hot and turning up other rads that were lukewarm.

It might be at the end of the system and if the other rads are too hot there might not be too much water left to get to it...

It worked for me,maybe I just got lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mosii

Hi, it could need balancing of the system, try closing the outlet valve, then open it by a quarter of a turn, which is very little. You could you tube, balancing radiators, their is a few videos that will help.

Thanks, I'll try that, see what happens.

So its not this one that needs adjusting
    https://flic.kr/p/2kbvLT9

But this one?
    https://flic.kr/p/2kbs1y5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Stick in radiator balancing into youtube. It might take you and hour or so but it's worth the time. Systems need to be level set every now and again depending on age.

listermint wrote: »
    Stick in radiator balancing into youtube. It might take you and hour or so but it's worth the time. Systems need to be level set every now and again depending on age.

I did, and the little valve they turn (lockshield valve) I assume is under the cap I have shown in the 2nd photo, but the cap doesn't lift off like i have seen in some videos.

Do I unscrew it, it has a screw on top, or do I make the turns using she screw head?

Advertisement