Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stiffed on Donedeal

Options
  • 28-11-2020 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

I've bought and sold lots of clubs on donedeal and never had a bother. There was a Cleveland CBX wedge there a few weeks ago for 40...needed a 50degree so got in touch. Lad seemed sound. Agreed price of 40 to include postage, I paid with revolut and nothing, won't answer my calls, won't respond to texts...I mean seriously would you bother.....
    I'll thank those in advance that are lining up advise about never pay until you get the club, always meet seller in person etc, etc.....and ask has anyone else ever got done on donedeal...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,074 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

gary29428 wrote: »
    I've bought and sold lots of clubs on donedeal and never had a bother. There was a Cleveland CBX wedge there a few weeks ago for 40...needed a 50degree so got in touch. Lad seemed sound. Agreed price of 40 to include postage, I paid with revolut and nothing, won't answer my calls, won't respond to texts...I mean seriously would you bother.....
    I'll thank those in advance that are lining up advise about never pay until you get the club, always meet seller in person etc, etc.....and ask has anyone else ever got done on donedeal...
    That's extremely annoying. And Revolut don't provide any buyer protection unless you or the seller are business customers. I know it's locking the door after the horse has bolted, but I would be very wary of using Revolut for such transactions. Just don't would be the best approach.

As for your money, I'd get on to DoneDeal first. They have a page on what to do in cases like yours. https://hello.donedeal.ie/hc/en-us/articles/201121102-Scam-Watch-Actions-to-take-for-victims-of-fraud

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭gary29428

Donedeal just said to contact the guards which I did. Would never spend much on donedeal and as I said have bought and sold loads of stuff. I'd imagine it's an isolated incident, just wondered had others had any issues. To be fair it's a great place to pick up used clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,074 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Donedeal just said to contact the guards which I did. Would never spend much on donedeal and as I said have bought and sold loads of stuff. I'd imagine it's an isolated incident, just wondered had others had any issues. To be fair it's a great place to pick up used clubs.
    DoneDeal are obviously trying to distance themselves from any responsibility. But they should have proper details on all their sellers. Not just some burner phone number and email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Stick the sellers name up here

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Guards said they will look into it so I'll let them off....feck it...was a nice wedge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

To look on the positive side... 40 quid lost but a lesson learned, it could have been more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

If I'm selling a club posted I get the money first as I'm sure 99% of people would. Just some scumbag taking advantage, nonfault of your own.

I ask for PayPal payments and send it that way aswell, they are usually decent at resolving issues.

No, wouldn't have been more....but will stick to paypal in the future

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Stick the sellers name up here

Please don't.

OP there's an Online Buying forum which is more appropriate for this thread

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭lisabiscuit

That's a fraud offence. Deffo follow up with the guards. Prob not the first time that 'seller' has done this sortta thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,028 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Chalk it down to experience.

Just this week I too had my 1st bad experience of DD.

Bought a watch and asked the seller what the glass was like, as I thought it showed 2 scratches on his photos. He said it was good, nothing on it, so I assumed it was a trick of the light on the photos.

Arrived and it looks like he used it to scrape his driveway with it. Scratched all over, lots of very fine scratches.
    Complained to him as he mis-sold, but he said to send it back and he'd deduct a tenner for his postage, and since it would cost me the same to return it, I am just going to hang on to it.

But its infuriating when people aren't honest. Still as I said, 1st bad experience so you have to expect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Southern Comfort

Apologies for jumping in here. I just thought I'd add my recent experience to your thread.

I buy and sell a lot of clubs on Adverts.ie, DoneDeal and eBay. I never had a problem until 3 weeks ago.

I bought a second hand driver on eBay from a guy in England. It arrived about 2 weeks later with the box badly creased in the middle and the shaft snapped cleanly in two.....

I contacted the sender (an extremely honourable guy) and he was disgusted with what had happened. He had even written "Fragile" and "Handle with care" on the box. I contacted the Irish couriers who started an "investigation." I heard nothing until I contacted them again. And they told me that the sender would have to lodge the complaint. Here's the problem for him......

I though the postage charge was steep and it seems like eBay have a particular way of sorting postage. The sender posted the club to an address in England for a modest postal fee. It was then sent to Ireland from there by a well known English company before being delivered to me by the Irish courier.

When I checked my PayPal statement for the transaction, part of the charge went directly to the English courier. The sender didn't know anything about this. He simply went to his post office and posted it to an address in England, presuming that it was going to the purchaser. As he said, it obviously arrived in perfect condition to them because the didn't contact him and forwarded the club.

We're going around in circles now and getting nowhere. eBay and PayPal don't want to get involved in any way. Meanwhile, the vendor wants to give me a full refund and take the hit on the transaction. I don't want him to have to do this. Anyway, the head is in perfect condition so, if it comes to it, I'll settle for him to pay for a new shaft on the club. And my club pro happens to have the shaft I want in stock and will replace the broken one for less that half the cost of what I paid the vendor for the driver.

In my case, I feel very sorry for the vendor and am extremely disappointed at the courier (a very well known company) for the way they've dealt with the situation.

Like yourself, I'll just have to put it down to experience.

However, as Lisabiscuit advised, I would go to the Gardaí in your situation. They should be able to track him/her down fairly easlily....

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,028 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not sure the Guards will be too excited about following up a 40 quid case of deception.

Nothing to lose, really, by going to them.......

• Site Banned Posts: 47 Saralace

Was he email and phone verified

What other ads has he got up

Call from different phone number

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You shouldn't be able to post items for sale on these platforms like done deal without extensive ID verification IMO. Most have banned the sale of tickets as they don't want to be part of the fraud but they don't go far enough. Maybe they need to charge more, maybe that's a price people are willing to pay for a more secure trading experience.

OP you got caught, caulk it down to been to trusting. 99% of people you do business with are genuine and sound. Your wasting your breath going to the gaurds to file this over small money.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lenoude

Apologies for jumping in here. I just thought I'd add my recent experience to your thread.

I buy and sell a lot of clubs on Adverts.ie, DoneDeal and eBay. I never had a problem until 3 weeks ago.

I bought a second hand driver on eBay from a guy in England. It arrived about 2 weeks later with the box badly creased in the middle and the shaft snapped cleanly in two.....

I contacted the sender (an extremely honourable guy) and he was disgusted with what had happened. He had even written "Fragile" and "Handle with care" on the box. I contacted the Irish couriers who started an "investigation." I heard nothing until I contacted them again. And they told me that the sender would have to lodge the complaint. Here's the problem for him......

I though the postage charge was steep and it seems like eBay have a particular way of sorting postage. The sender posted the club to an address in England for a modest postal fee. It was then sent to Ireland from there by a well known English company before being delivered to me by the Irish courier.

When I checked my PayPal statement for the transaction, part of the charge went directly to the English courier. The sender didn't know anything about this. He simply went to his post office and posted it to an address in England, presuming that it was going to the purchaser. As he said, it obviously arrived in perfect condition to them because the didn't contact him and forwarded the club.

We're going around in circles now and getting nowhere. eBay and PayPal don't want to get involved in any way. Meanwhile, the vendor wants to give me a full refund and take the hit on the transaction. I don't want him to have to do this. Anyway, the head is in perfect condition so, if it comes to it, I'll settle for him to pay for a new shaft on the club. And my club pro happens to have the shaft I want in stock and will replace the broken one for less that half the cost of what I paid the vendor for the driver.

In my case, I feel very sorry for the vendor and am extremely disappointed at the courier (a very well known company) for the way they've dealt with the situation.

Like yourself, I'll just have to put it down to experience.

However, as Lisabiscuit advised, I would go to the Gardaí in your situation. They should be able to track him/her down fairly easlily....

Good luck!

You bought the item through the Global Shipping Program. If the item was damaged in transit both you and the seller are 100 percent covered. If you purchased the item on eBay.co.uk then you can raise a dispute through the Resolution Centre. If you purchased on eBay.ie you will need to raise a dispute through PayPal.

lenoude wrote: »
    You bought the item through the Global Shipping Program. If the item was damaged in transit both you and the seller are 100 percent covered. If you purchased the item on eBay.co.uk then you can raise a dispute through the Resolution Centre. If you purchased on eBay.ie you will need to raise a dispute through PayPal.

Thanks, Lenoude.

The vendor is dealing with it at the moment......

• Registered Users Posts: 16,886 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

rob316 wrote:
    You shouldn't be able to post items for sale on these platforms like done deal without extensive ID verification IMO. Most have banned the sale of tickets as they don't want to be part of the fraud but they don't go far enough. Maybe they need to charge more, maybe that's a price people are willing to pay for a more secure trading experience.

Ah Jasus. People won't be able to sell their stolen goods if they have to provide identity.

Guards said they will look into it so I'll let them off....feck it...was a nice wedge.

that's about as far as it will go....

13373126-0-image-a-51_1557573074935.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement