Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weaning in mart

Options
  • 28-11-2020 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

Doing the rounds on watzap , poor chap

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Doing the rounds on watzap , poor chap

Be an awful thing to see online, your own cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭orm0nd

saw on twitter unfortunately these things happen and no need to go plastering it on social media

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Is it dead or just stunned?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tileman

whelan2 wrote: »
    Is it dead or just stunned?

What happened to it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

Where did this happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

tanko wrote: »
    Where did this happen?

Up the country I think , Tried to jump out , was a little giddy , looks like it broke its neck

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Oh god the poor thing

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭LilacNails

orm0nd wrote: »
    saw on twitter unfortunately these things happen and no need to go plastering it on social media

Will probably be on FB and tic tok, poor creature and farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Happens every day, I'm afraid. That's nature. I hate to see an animal suffering.
    Did it die instantly?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Happens every day, I'm afraid. That's nature. I hate to see an animal suffering.
    Did it die instantly?

Very quick , didn’t suffer from what was seen

• Advertisement

Did it die instantly?

Had a calf similar a few years ago. Ran straight into a gate and dropped down dead

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

Up the country I think , Tried to jump out , was a little giddy , looks like it broke its neck

Cootehill??

whelan2 wrote: »
    Had a calf similar a few years ago. Ran straight into a gate and dropped down dead
    Seen it in gortatlea last year , the gate after ring was open long run with a fall from the ring and he couldn’t stop ,

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Will the farmer have to take the hit at the loss of animal and pay the knackery too?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

josephsoap wrote: »
    Will the farmer have to take the hit at the loss of animal and pay the knackery too?

I imagine mart insurance will pay up

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Roisins1712

I bought him he’s in the shed sound out

• Registered Users Posts: 18,523 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Once they are on the mart they carry the risk.
    Local mart always cover any injury or loss

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Insurance will cover it in most cases, it's a freak accident and those things happen from time to time. I'd have expected to see more convulsions as usually they'd have a seizure or similar after a blow like that and might not expire for a few minutes. That animal died instantly so at least there was minimal suffering involved.

I've seen cattle to run headlong into a gate a few times over the years and usually they'd be stunned as opposed to killed. A blow to the head is always a lottery of sorts as regards the outcome. A local man fell off the second rung of a stepladder a few year's back and was killed instantly from a blow to the head. You'd be better pulling the plug on the ringside camera in those situations and not have the world and it's mother watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Insurance will cover it in most cases, it's a freak accident and those things happen from time to time. I'd have expected to see more convulsions as usually they'd have a seizure or similar after a blow like that and might not expire for a few minutes. That animal died instantly so at least there was minimal suffering involved.

I've seen cattle to run headlong into a gate a few times over the years and usually they'd be stunned as opposed to killed. A blow to the head is always a lottery of sorts as regards the outcome. A local man fell off the second rung of a stepladder a few year's back and was killed instantly from a blow to the head. You'd be better pulling the plug on the ringside camera in those situations and not have the world and it's mother watching.

No chance it was stunned and woke up after then Albert?

Jb1989 wrote: »
    No chance it was stunned and woke up after then Albert?

It's possible although I'd be fairly confident that particular animal will be spending the Christmas with God. I have seen them to be knocked out cold for a few seconds to several minutes but they can come round. A very wild weanling ran the length of the yard full tilt into a gate one night and collapsed in a heap. I was expecting him to be killed but he got up after about 30 seconds although you'd swear he had consumed about 30 pints of porter. He was very groggy for a few hours and was bound to have a serious headache but he made a full recovery to the best of my knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Will the insurance pay the market value of that animal to the farmer? It was going about €630 odd when the bidding stopped.

Heard earlier the animal recovered and was sold later, anyone else hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I was at a pedigree sale last year and a bull snapped its leg while tied up with a head halter. It got so excited it started running and skidding on the spot.
    Mart covered it with its insurance.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Will the insurance pay the market value of that animal to the farmer? It was going about €630 odd when the bidding stopped.

The animal will have to valued at what it would have been worth under normal circumstances given it's quality, weight ect. Considering that the auctioneer asked people to hold the bidding I'd imagine that there was another bit to go before the hammer fell, he'd probably have closed the €700 but you'd want to see the weight ect

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

I bought him he’s in the shed sound out

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭davidk1394

It happened here years ago before I was born. There was sucklers on the farm. Mainly limousine cattle. My father was loading them into a lorry. Weanling ran up the ramp and hit the back of the lorry so hard he broke his neck. It was unfortunate what happened to the animal.

Advertisement