Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop for Video Editing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Will you be gaming because the Lenovo is really all about gaming.

Bazmo wrote: »
    hey folks,

Anyone have any suggestions for a laptop for my brother, the main use will be video editing. Budget of 800 - 1000.

Was thinking either Lenovo Legion 5 (AMD Ryzen 5 4600 version with the 300 nits / 144 Hz display - will probably add 8GB RAM stick) or the Honor Magicbook Pro 16.

I'd welcome comments on the above or other suggestions (I'm looking at you Glasso :) - I'm very happy with a previous recommendation of yours).

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-5-series/Lenovo-Legion-5-15ARH05/p/88GMY501444

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HONOR-MagicBook-Multi-screen-Collaboration-Fingerprint/dp/B08HNDT366/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=honor+magicbook+pro+16&qid=1606513794&sr=8-1

both good options and what I pretty much would have thrown out (once you select the colour accurate sRGB screen on the legion)

basically boils down to what the use case and preference will be

1. do you value more portability and metal build then magicbook pro

2. won't need to be portable (legion is 50% heavier than the pro) and possibly a bit of gaming done on the side also then legion

a third option is the asus g14 - 14 inch but portable with graphics card, metal build and colour accurate screen
    try scan.co.uk for the 4600h + 1650 card option

video editing (contrary to what some people think) is primarily cpu-based in terms of tasks. the discrete gpu will add a little speed but the magicbook pro with the pretty powerful 4600h will do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Bazmo

Thanks Glasso. To answer your points:

- gaming: not a chance.
    - portability: i had noticed the weight difference, his current laptop is > 2kg and he wouldn't be lugging it around.
    - metal vs plastic wouldn't be an issue for him.
    - i'll check out the ASUS but I don't think he'd go for the 14".

Just about anything will be a massive step up in performance over what he has been using. He currently has a 1TB HDD and is not overly keen on less storage (he's not the best at file mgmt). With the Lenovo, there is room to add M2 or SATA SSD (must check out what the story is these days with Lenovo whitelisting now that I think about it).

Thanks again for your opinion.

the G14 is for somebody who values potability really - it's only 1.6 kg which is a very light for a fairly powerful laptop with a gpu

it has a metal build and the lower versions are very reasonably priced for what you get.

Advertisement