Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

owning my own beehive hut

Options
  • 27-11-2020 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

<SNIP>

I was wondering if anyone knew how to find someone skilled in building beehive huts (Clocháns) the kind around the Dingle peninsula (proper corballing) but larger with a fire pit and capstone to release the smoke. Would I get planning permission, have and extra bit of land to grow vegetables. Any other advice would be appreciated.

If this section is wrong please advise of the right one.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod

Sorry OP, I've been educated on Clocháns and reopened your thread.

I'm not sure this is the ideal forum to get the info you're looking for. We'll see what sort of responses you get before thinking about moving it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You won't get permission for one as a residence, not in a million years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

<SNIP>

I was wondering if anyone knew how to find someone skilled in building beehive huts (Clocháns) the kind around the Dingle peninsula (proper corballing) but larger with a fire pit and capstone to release the smoke. Would I get planning permission, have and extra bit of land to grow vegetables. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I think they would be exempt. small footprint.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

They're not. Have a look at Galway City Council's website- they've granted planning for over 20 in the last 12 months alone (including quite a batch of them on the Aran Islands).

They're not. Have a look at Galway City Council's website- they've granted planning for over 20 in the last 12 months alone (including quite a batch of them on the Aran Islands).

I have my doubts unless you means many of them in one spot, or a modern house inspired by them. If you have reference numbers that would be help. I am talking about small stone structure well below 25m2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Would you be caught by the following in relation to garden shed structures.
    The structure must not be used for human habitation or keeping livestock/animals.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Would you be caught by the following in relation to garden shed structures.

fair enough. Clochans are not habitable. I guess that should be made clear to the OP. If you made it habitable then yeah I can see inevitable problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

<SNIP>

Thanks.

Your comment brings this to mind ;)
    The Lake Isle of Innisfree* by WB Yates.

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,

And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made;

Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee,

And live alone in the bee-loud glade....

There are some recent examples of Beehive hut structures erected as an art instalation by Irene Beurer and Robert Mc Colgar which can be seen on the Balbriggan by-pass on the M1

I'd suggest perhaps finding a good dry stonewall expert who could advise

*Of interest - the enough the above poem was used in an effort to change the law on speculative planning permission in the 196Os ...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

fair enough. Clochans are not habitable. I guess that should be made clear to the OP. If you made it habitable then yeah I can see inevitable problems.

I was more so thinking of the animals part.

Around the Leitrim, Cavana area it was traditional to build stone and sod sweat houses. Would love one if I had the space myself but to all readers please double check planning before emulating.
    http://www.irishmegaliths.org.uk/sweathouses.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 griffincathal

L1011 wrote: »
    You won't get permission for one as a residence, not in a million years.

Can you tell me why?

What sort of problems?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can you tell me why?

Because it has zero ability to meet basic standards for a residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭dennyk

What sort of problems?

A small clochan erected on a residential property or on agricultural land and not used for habitation or keeping livestock might be exempt from planning, much like a garden shed or a farm tool shed of a similar size would be exempt. However, if the council got wind that you were living in the clochan when it wasn't approved for residential use, you would likely face fines, and eventually they'd most likely make you knock it down if the violations continued.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

dennyk wrote: »
    A small clochan erected on a residential property or on agricultural land and not used for habitation or keeping livestock might be exempt from planning, much like a garden shed or a farm tool shed of a similar size would be exempt. However, if the council got wind that you were living in the clochan when it wasn't approved for residential use, you would likely face fines, and eventually they'd most likely make you knock it down if the violations continued.

Interesting. All kinds of possibilities here. I love the idea of sleeping in one of these.

L1011 wrote: »
    Because it has zero ability to meet basic standards for a residence.

Well if built correctly it's water tight.

Well if built correctly it's water tight.

The regulations require much more than being water tight. But there is nothing wrong with trying to build a very high spec summer house where you might have lunch, work from home or watch films but designing one for sleeping is more legal trouble than it is worth.

Advertisement