Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TWSS for the domestic employees of 30 odd households.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,685 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hardly surprising: employers were told to use TWSS to stop people going on PUP. That's exactly what these employers did.

And making representation is part of a TDs job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Hardly surprising: employers were told to use TWSS to stop people going on PUP. That's exactly what these employers did.

Business turnover lost in a domestic setting due to Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Rubbish, they didn't have a revenue drop, so obviously we're not entitled to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Business turnover lost in a domestic setting due to Covid?
    It was naivety or arm-chancing. "I'm an employer, my employee can't work, therefore I can apply for a wage subsidy to keep paying them". I'd say most did it because they thought they could - or their own personal income dropped. But I've no doubt some of them thought that in the chaos it would go unnoticed.

I guarantee some of these 30 also had their cleaners go on PUP and kept the TWSS for themselves.

A TD is involved because when wealthy people have a problem with an arm of the state, they ring the local TD to try and make it go away.

The rest of us pay our fines, the wealthy demand to know who is going to pay it for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

seamus wrote: »
    It was naivety or arm-chancing. "I'm an employer, my employee can't work, therefore I can apply for a wage subsidy to keep paying them". I'd say most did it because they thought they could - or their own personal income dropped. But I've no doubt some of them thought that in the chaos it would go unnoticed.

I guarantee some of these 30 also had their cleaners go on PUP and kept the TWSS for themselves.

A TD is involved because when wealthy people have a problem with an arm of the state, they ring the local TD to try and make it go away.

The rest of us pay our fines, the wealthy demand to know who is going to pay it for them.

I like Revenue they are prehaps the most efficient arm of the state, the monies owed wouldn't go away. The intervention of a TD may stop penalties or interest being applied.
    Totally agree on the suggestion of chancing their arm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

seamus wrote: »

That wouldn't actually be possible as TWSS was done via payroll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

If you can afford Jeeves the butler and Anjelickerina the cleaner, then you can afford the revenue bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭arctictree

To be fair, its a bit silly. If they just let them go, they would have been on the PUP. So the revenue/Govt are basically saying that they should have been fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm afraid to say, this is just the Tip of the Iceberg, I've absolutely zero doubt there's been widespread fraud and abuse of what was a life line for alot of genuine businesses.

On the topic specifically, as outrageous as its seems, I'm aware of households that are run as business's or limited companies, large premises such as estates, stud farms etc and I suspect these may be in the mix here. The bottom line however is that despite a household assuming it could avail of TWSS, a very clear and specific criteria is proof of the business either being impacted by or revenue reductions as a result of the Pandemic, Lord & Lady P**take will have some explaining to do as will any public representative making fools of themselves getting involved.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement