Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMELLY FRIDGE

Options
  • 26-11-2020 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

To continue with a fridge theme , something spoilt I'm not sure what we didn't notice it and now we have a nasty niff , I have deep cleaned it but the smell seems to be engrained , any ideas what will help please ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We had similar after a particularly smelly cheese shopping trip in France a few years ago.

We scrubbed it out a few times and I think it was a cut up orange we left it in closed up And it was fine afterwards.

When not in use the door is always open, never ever left closed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Had the same when someone put my van into storage with a joint of roast pork still in the freezer. :blerugh: I've also had to rescue the home freezer from a similar fate when the power went out while I was away for a month. :(

It takes time to get rid of the smell completely, as the odours get bound up in the fat-like molecules that make up the plastic, and it'll continue to smell until they detach themselves and skidaddle. You can help the process along by successive cleanings with strong-smelling products, especially bleach (dilute) and citrus, leaving the door open after each session; or by placing a tray of charcoal into the fridge and leaving the door closed.

Don't bother waiting for the smell to be completely gone either before you re-stock it. The more "ordinary" smells you put in, the faster you'll displace the yeuk!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,092 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Use soda bicarbonate to clean it . Sprinkle it all over the fridge . Then put a good slug lemon juice in bowl of water and dip your cloth in and wring . Then wipe the soda bic in well
    Wait an hour or more and clean off

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Leave the door open when not in use is the most important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Thanks for the replies, more or less what I have done to-date ,CelticRambler description pretty much sums my experience looks like I will just have keep scrubbing and just wait until my smell skidaddles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭death1234567

Cut two onions in half. Leave in the fridge with the door closed for a few days. Job done.

Advertisement