Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be friends/date with an alcoholic?

Options
  • 26-11-2020 1:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I suppose it depends what one means by 'alcoholic'. Some say that a person who drinks only on the weekends but gets binged to the point of falling down is an alcoholic.

Others say someone who drinks moderately and doesn't act the maggot but does it at least once a day, everyday is addicted.

It seems in Ireland that coke use is become destigmatised like , not just among young people but middle aged people as well.

So would you befriend/date someone like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Yes but preferably if they were in recovery or at least making genuine attempts to be in recovery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Yes but preferably if they were in recovery or at least making genuine attempts to be in recovery.

What if they had stolen from family in the past, would that change your perception of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,236 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

You were missed .......................

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

So would you befriend/date someone like this?

Someone like what? You gave two completely different definitions, never settled on either, and then rambled about cocaine? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Simple answer: I already have a busy life..... I dont need that Drama!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

What if they had stolen from family in the past, would that change your perception of them?

Yes it probably would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

In short, no.

Why put yourself into a situation that will break you. Looking after a date/partner every night you go out won't be fun. They go out with their friends and you're left worrying if they get home ok? Find someone who can handle their drink and knows when to stop.

If the person is already in your life then it's a different story, but if no attempts are being made to reduce the behaviour then walk away.

DilD wrote: »
    Why put yourself into a situation that will break you. Looking after a date/partner every night you go out won't be fun. They go out with their friends and you're left worrying if they get home ok? Find someone who can handle their drink and knows when to stop.

OP? The above is the not just the voice of reason but experience. I find that alcoholism is often paired with another mental illness. Both myself and my wife have/had friends with alcohol problems which they used to self-medicate to cover other more serious illnesses like Bi-Polar and schizophrenia. We did not say all schizophrenics and sufferers of BiPolar disorder are alcoholics. The ones we encountered were and were unmedicated. In my experience .... they will sap ALL your energy and time with the most amazing stories.

I cannot stop you from getting your life experience, sometimes you have to graze your knees to learn. Now last year on the pre-marriage course we saw al the couples. I could see one guy and he was just sweating for a drink, she was his enabler and she was educated enough to know better. There are just some people you just cant save.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

Whether friendship or relationship I don't want a dependent or someone to babysit. Unless this person is aware of their problem and is dedicated to getting better they will most likely end up being more trouble than they're worth and it's best avoid getting mixed up with them.

Kraftwerk wrote: »
    Whether friendship or relationship I don't want a dependent or someone to babysit. Unless this person is aware of their problem and is dedicated to getting better they will most likely end up being more trouble than they're worth and it's best avoid getting mixed up with them.

...........And you know there is a whole package of drama coming with them. You are going to get fantastic stories of parties and calls at 2am. All hi highs and lo lows. They will try and drag you down to their level where you are their therapist 24/7 or enabler. See them, learn to identify them and stay clear of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭walshtipp

I am friendly with some people who would be considered alcoholics. But no way in hell would I date one.

Advertisement